Sunday, February 3, 2013

Star Trek Christmas Tree

Star Trek Christmas Tree

For those that don't know, my wife is a real nut when it comes to Christmas.  She would listen to Christmas music year round if she could and she decorates the house like a mad woman.  I like Christmas, but I'm certainly not as amped up about it each year as she is.  

Every year she puts up garland and lights and trees and other seasonal stuff all over the house.  It looks good and I don't mind (the cats love it).  We had four trees in our home last year, and it's not hard to guess which one was mine!

Live long, and buy me many presents!


To be honest, I'm not really a "Trekkie".  I love Star Trek, especially the original series and movies, but I'm not a die hard fan nor have I ever been to a convention.  Years ago though, my mom bought me a Hallmark ornament from the Star Trek series and then another the next year.  Before I knew it I had 5 or 6 of the things.  When Branelle and I got together I insisted that my Star Trek ornaments be given a prominent position in her Christmas decorating.  I was originally just trying to comically annoy her since they sort of ruined her theme. 



Unfortunately for her, I am also a habitual collector.  Hallmark has been making Star Trek ornaments since 1991.  They now produce three per year and occasionally have a special release for Comic Con or something like that.  Through the magic of eBay and on-line commerce (and a few lucky finds) I now own every single Hallmark Star Trek ornament that has ever been produced!



We bought a black tree, wrapped a few boxes in Star Trek paper, added some planets that glow and even some vintage Star Trek Christmas lights and a tree topper to accessorize, but the rest is just ornaments.  A lot of them actually plug into the lights on the tree and many of them talk if you press a button.  Nel got into the spirit last year and made a tree skirt out of some vintage Star Trek fabric we found on eBay.

Nels' tree skirt - How cool is that?

We're committed now, so we buy every new ornament each year.  Some of the previous ones can be expensive if you don't already have them - a few are in the $500-$600 range.

Of our four trees, it is only logical that this one is deemed the best (don't tell Nel I said that).
     

3 comments:

  1. I really love your tree! I also put up a Star Trek tree, but not every year. Mostly I use ornaments which I have designed and made myself. If you are interested in some of my designs (crochet and needlepoint), check out my shop at craftsy.com/user/883016/pattern-store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, I'm not the only one in the world who did this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Star Trek trek that I leave up all year. It is loaded now. I have all the ships and two sets of the character ornaments along with all Hallmark store offerings- limited editions as well. I am missing one main ornament- the City on the Edge of Forever. I do not have any of the convention ornaments though. My tree is loaded so I am this year getting a new tree. I like the black one but I have very limited space and must go pencil style less than 20" wide at bottom. So, we will see. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete