Tuesday, March 19, 2013

1990 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible



God, I am so bad at this blogging thing.  I can't seem to motivate myself to write about anything interesting.  When I go a few weeks without a post I revert to a 'Random Vehicle Review' to try to break the lazy cycle.  We'll see.


Tonight, my random generator has selected……


1990 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible



I've actually owned two very similar 1990 Vette Convertibles over the years, but this was the first.  We actually own a very nice '86 Convertible now.  I bought this one at an auction, and I must have been feeling frisky that day because it was the third car I bought.  It had over 130K miles, which scares off most people, but it was in decent shape and, quite frankly, didn't cost very much at all.



The paint was in pretty good shape, as were the top and wheels.  The interior was the weakest part of the car, but it wasn't horrible.  It ran pretty good and everything worked as well.  This was the first year for the new rounded dashes on the C4, but the next to last for the squared exterior body.



One thing that was never improved on the C4 was making these things easier to get in and out of.  It is a real chore.  The seat is below the large rise on the door mounting.  You basically have to "fall" into the car and hoist yourself out.  The sport seat on this one wasn't quite wide enough for my posterior either.



The manual top was very easy to put up and take down (once you learned where all the releases were located).  The car sounded great as well.  The engine was strong and had a nice growl to it. 



As it turned out, I was right in thinking this car was well bought.  I sold it to a guy in Seattle eventually and actually made money for a change.  These C4s are neat cars with a lot of horsepower.  They certainly aren't as good as the newer Corvettes, but I actually think these are more fun to drive.  With the price of 3rd generation models heading north, good C4s are probably a bargain at the moment as well.  You can still get one for very little money, they're dependable and easy to keep on the road, and they're probably going to start appreciating soon. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment