Wednesday, July 3, 2013

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL 500

Random Vehicle Blog tonight......

1998 Mercedes-Benz SL 500


This car was kind of a mess.  It looked pretty good but had a lot of miles.  I bought it from the Big H Auto Auction pretty cheap and found out why quickly.  It had a laundry list of problems and I tried to fix most of them before sending it on its way.  To be fair, it ran fine for as long as I owned the car, but all of the minor imperfections drove me crazy.


The interior was in very nice shape.  The scariest problem with the car was the AC, but it turned out to be nothing major (a big surprise).  It needed the rear view mirror replaced, a part that was not only power controlled but contained sensors for the climate system and was going to cost over a grand.  That was the final straw.  I never really warmed to it for some reason.  It was hurt to some degree by the fact that I had owned a red '99 prior to this one that was like a new car.


This one did have the very cool (and VERY heavy) panoramic hard top - basically an all glass roof.  I took a beating on this car, but only because I spent so much trying to make it better.  These older SLs are great vehicles and a LOT of car for the money.  My biggest complaint is that even though it's not a particularly small car, the leg room is tight.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment