Saturday, September 5, 2015

1998 Jaguar XJR

Another "Random Vehicle Blog".  I've owned quite a few Jag's over the years but the random generator has never spit one out...until now.  


1998 Jaguar XJR


I owned this car a long time ago.  I had always liked XJR's and had come close to buying one on a few occasions.  This low mileage monster had been sitting at one of the dealerships in Houston for a couple weeks and had been extremely neglected.  It was in need of a complete paint job, among other things.  Since these sort of issues don't seem to bother me (as much as they probably should anyway) I snatched it up at what I thought was a bargain price.



There wasn't really any bodywork necessary (although I did replace the rear bumper), but it had scratches all over it.  Since the car had only 21K miles on it I made the decision to go ahead and spend whatever was needed to make it perfect.  


The car ran perfect, which made my decision to throw money at it much easier.  These things put out about 385 horsepower.  Prior to 1998 they came with a supercharged V6, but the big V8 in this one was a huge improvement.  It was smooth when you wanted it to be but would scream when required.



The biggest problem I had with this car was a faint cigar smell that I never could get rid of.  I thought that I could get it out, and after being detailed the cream and black interior looked gorgeous but that damn smell never would go away.  I carried a bottle of Febreeze in the car with me.  It taught me a lesson:  NEVER BUY A CAR THAT HAS BEEN SMOKED IN!!!


After spending about $5000 to paint the car, I still couldn't stand the smell so after owning it for maybe six or eight months I decided to let it go.  I remember the buyer was a local guy who was getting it for his son in California.  


Other than the smell, this was a great car.  I could drive one of these everyday and be quite happy.  Jaguar has always done a fantastic job of producing stunningly beautiful cars, and when Ford took them over the quality and practicality started to improve.






2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you own a 1998 Jaguar XJR, you know that you have a luxurious and powerful car. But what you may not know is that your Jaguar needs special care when it comes to maintenance and repair. That's why it's important to take your Jaguar to a reputable repair shop that has experience with this particular model.

    At our Jaguar repair shop, we have ASE-certified technicians who are specifically trained to work on Jaguars. We use the latest tools and technology to diagnose and repair your car, and we only use genuine Jaguar parts. We also offer convenient service hours and a comfortable waiting area for our customers.

    ReplyDelete