Thursday, May 12, 2016

Guest House Construction: Part 1

Finally! - A Shovel in the Ground...sort of

We're doing a construction project at our place so I thought I would start updating the progress via blog so anyone who cares about us (or more accurately, cares about my wife - I don't think anyone really cares what I do) can follow along.  We are adding a guest house and quite a few garage spaces as well as extending the porch off of the back of our main house (and building a sort of "Bat Cave" / office for me...but that's a whole separate post).  We're also extending our driveway and adding some more covered porches and walkways.  It's a big project, and we've been working on it for months.  The first steps were having everything designed by our architect.  It took some time, but we finally got everything worked out and over to our builder.  Our builder's name is Bill.  He built my property in Seabrook years ago and did a great job with that place so he was the first person I called for this project.

People have been asking me if we've started building yet and I always have had to say "We got everything approved by the HOA, and now we're just waiting for the engineering drawing, but we haven't put a shovel in the ground yet."  Well, not any more!  



Technically not a shovel, but we did dig a hole. As part of the foundation engineering, we had to sample the soil.  I know, it's not much, but it's the first tangible thing that's actually happened so we are pretty excited.  The guys from Coastal Testing came out and dug down about 20 feet to get a sample to test in their lab.  I don't have the results yet, but the guys who took the sample said our soil looked "great" and we had nothing to worry about.  

  
The guys actually filled the hole right back up and you can't really even tell it was there, but I know!  We have officially stuck something in the ground.  More to come....soon I hope.

1 comment:

  1. Although construction projects on your home can be a very expensive and stressful thing to undergo, they can also be very exciting as well. Breaking ground, and the finished product are the two most exciting parts of the whole process. You may want to keep these pictures for yourself to have for when the project is finished so that you can look back on the "before". Good luck!

    ReplyDelete