Sunday, April 1, 2018

2002 Honda S2000

2002 Honda S2000


This was actually my 2nd S2000. I had owned a black one prior to this that is one of only a handful of cars that I never took a single picture of for some reason. I ended up selling that first one to a friend of mine and I've asked him for a few pictures over the years but haven't gotten any yet. (Max - surely you've got a few sitting around somewhere?)


The reason I picked up this second one was because another friend of mine had asked me to keep a lookout for this exact car in this exact color. Unfortunately people tend to change their minds when it's time to write a check. It wasn't the first or last time that happened to me.


It really wasn't that big of a deal though. I didn't over pay for it and I was thrilled to have another one around. I thought the yellow worked for this car - some cars are just meant to be bright, and the S2000 is one of them. This one had about 25K miles on it and no issues at all. The V-TEC motor in these things is 'peppy' and does the job for such a lightweight car. 


The S2000 certainly isn't a monster, but they handle great and are a blast to drive. They feel a lot faster than they actually are. If you compare it to a Corvette or a 911 it falls on its face, but if you consider this as an alternative to a Miata or something like that I think it's a great choice.


The interior was a little small for me but extremely neat and functional. At the time I thought the digital dash was cool, and I also loved the start button.


Here comes the "should you buy one today?" question. The answer is "absolutely"! First of all, the S2000 is a great car to drive. It's fun and actually works in the real world. It also has Honda reliability. Secondly, it's just now starting to come into its own as a collectible. The key is to find a low mileage, unmolested example. A lot of these were customized and modded to individual tastes (including my black one). That kills the value. You can make them faster, but it won't make them better. A third reason to get one is that it still looks good today. It doesn't look like an old car - the shape is timeless. Honda did a great job with the S2000 and it really is a fun and stress free car to own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment