Saturday, March 2, 2019

2000 Porsche 911 Carrera

2000 Porsche 911 Carrera


It concerns me a little bit from time to time how technology works. I get that when I'm looking through Facebook and see ads for bras and princess dresses it's because my wife has been shopping on her iPad and we share the same WiFi. Fine. But when I asked my random selection program (not internet based) to pick a car for me to blog about this evening and it spits out this red 911 I start to worry. Tonight we went to dinner at Craft 96 and we drove our current 911, which is red, and I happen to have sitting on my desk right next to me a 1/18 scale model of our red 911 that just came in the mail today. Skynet - We're all going to die.

Anyway, on to the car. I bought this sharp little Carrera back in 2004 and it didn't really cost me much because it had about 100K miles on it. It was in great shape though and it never gave me any trouble. 

 
It was pretty basic as far as 911s go, being a two-wheel-drive model with the narrow body, but the upgraded wheels added a little something. The car was fast, but not crazy fast, and handled great. It was a 6-speed and had a clutch that was a little heavy for my taste, but was still okay to drive on a daily basis. 


I've never been crazy about Porsche interiors. Unless you custom order your car (which about half of buyers do) they are almost always monotone in color. This one was a light grey everywhere. It needed something to break it up. Still, it was in remarkable condition for the mileage. 


The 996 version of the 911 makes for a great weekender for the enthusiast on a budget. They aren't race cars, but are great looking and driving sports cars with classic lines and every day practicality. There are some potential issues to be aware of  (IMS bearing), but generally these are reliable rides that come in a variety of packages, all unmistakably 911. Don't be afraid of higher mileage examples as long as you know the history of the car. If cared for these things will go forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment