Monday, July 8, 2019

2003 Mini Cooper S

2003 Mini Cooper S


I bought this S model in 2003 with maybe like 5,000 miles on the odometer. I already owned a 2002 Cooper and had really found it interesting but decided I wanted an S. Mini's were rare in Texas at the time - 2002 was the first year for them and there weren't any dealerships in Texas because of a legal dispute between BMW dealers or something like that.


The biggest difference between the base Mini and the S is the engine. It's bigger and has a turbo. They're both fun to drive, but the turbo makes quite a bit more power and makes the car feel a lot quicker than it is. 


One thing about Mini's, and an ironic thing at that, is that they actually are quite roomy inside. I'm a big guy and I fit comfortably in the front seats. The interiors are kind of "fun". You have everything you need and it all kind of works. It's no Mercedes, but in the world of tiny Euro transport, it's a lot more interesting than a VW Polo or Honda Jazz.


They're also a lot more fun to drive. They put the wheels as far out at the corners as they could and that gives you the go-cart effect. 


I can't remember how long I had the two Mini's. I also don't remember selling them, but I don't think I kept them too long. I'm really a big car kind of guy, and while I liked driving these, especially the S, the novelty wore off at some point.

My brother and me.
It's interesting that this car was selected by my random program. Yesterday would have been my father-in-laws birthday and he had a Mini Cooper S in a very similar color combination to mine when he passed away a few years ago. In fact, when I started dating my wife her parents both drive Mini's. I believe my brother-in-law still has the S to this day.


Here's a picture of my father-in-law Alan trying to race has twin brother at Brainerd International Raceway. It was "Street Night at the Strip" and Nels' Uncle Paul had a '92 Plymouth Duster and they were going to square off. It never happened unfortunately due to rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment