Sunday, January 16, 2022

Mecum Houston 2021 Report

 Mecum Houston 2021 Report


If you recall, Mecum was forced to delay their annual Houston auction in 2020 from the usual time in April until December due to COVID stuff. They came back five months later in 2021 at the usual April spot on the calendar. I actually preferred the December slot, but always happy to have a car auction anytime. The inventory was back up this time as well, although still not to pre-COVID levels. Another thing that's up at all auctions since this started are the prices. People are going crazy at these things throwing money around. I'm always determined to buy a car or two when I go to an auction, but I hadn't pulled the trigger at the last two I attended for some reason (maybe I'm getting more frugal in my old age).

Mom came with me one day!

There wasn't really much out of the ordinary auction-wise this time around. The mask idiocy was still in effect thanks to the idiots that run Harris County, but otherwise it was back to normal. I wasn't too active, but I did at least add a new toy to the collection.


Things We Didn't Buy:

1949 Pontiac Silver Streak

I've been getting more and more interested in old American metal recently. I was looking for something from the 50's or 60's (or 40's) this time around and this Pontiac really caught my eye. It was an older restoration, but just a really cool looking car. I told myself I wouldn't go over $30k for it and stuck to it as it worked its way north of $35k.


1957 Mercury Montclair Convertible

Another huge piece of Americana, this Montclair was striking but not quite nice enough for me on close inspection. It was driver quality, which is fine, but for some reason I chose not to bid on it. Someone got a bargain in the mid-30s. 


1987 Buick Grand National

Classic American wasn't the only thing on my radar. I love these Grand Nationals (and the Monte Carlo SS and the Olds 442 that were similar in the late 80s) but Nel is not a fan...at all. This was a very cool car when I was in high school....but she was five at the time. I'm sure I'll have one someday soon, but I didn't bid on this one.

1990 Ford Bronco XLT

Trucks and SUVs are extremely popular right now. I like the ones that have sort of a retro look, and this one fit the bill. It was nice, but not over the top and seemed to be completely stock. I bid on it up to about $22k but wasn't even close as it topped $30k. Branelle liked this one which was an added bonus if I had bought it. 


1985 Ferrari 308 GTS

I always pay attention to exotics in Houston. It's not the hottest market for weird stuff and sometimes a car will fall through the cracks. That's how I ended up with my last Ferrari, but this one wasn't in the best shape. I thought about it, but wisely passed on what, on the surface anyway, seemed like a bargain for a classic prancing horse.

1951 Ford Custom Deluxe Crestliner

Back to American classics, this car and the one next to it really threw me. The condition was phenomenal - probably better than new - but it was just a '51 Ford and they aren't particularly valuable or collectible. I should have bought one of them, even though it would have cost me three times what a normal '51 Ford would have been worth, just because I've never been upset with any of my cars that are in near-perfect condition, no matter what they are.  

1958 Mercedes-Benz 220S Cabriolet

I really wanted this car and became quite enamored with it by the time it went across the block on Saturday. It ticked every box for me. Unfortunately, it ticked a few boxes for other folks as well and the bidding got close to $150k. I couldn't justify that figure, although based on what I've seen since it might have been a bargain.


1978 Lincoln Continental Mark V "Diamond Jubilee"

This is the car that I actually planned to buy in Houston. I had been outbid for this exact car in Kissimmee in January because there was another one right after it and then I didn't get the other one either! I would have happily overpaid to buy this 10,000 mile land yacht, but I got a work call and had to walk away from the block and just missed it. I was so frustrated with myself. Nel is demonstrating how many bodies you could get in the trunk of this thing.


Things We DID Buy:

1991 BMW 850i

Just one new toy this year - this stunning 850i. The condition of the car is amazing, both inside and out. The mechanics have been another matter though, and I'm just now finally getting everything sorted. This is my 4th 8-Series BMW, so I shouldn't be surprised as these 12-cylinder beasts are very complex and temperamental. The good news is that the market for these has really heated up lately so it warrants putting money into it to make it as good as it can be. I like driving it too, which is an added bonus.


No comments:

Post a Comment