Thursday, October 6, 2011

Dock Party - Don't Fall For It!

Branelle and I flew up to Minnesota yesterday.  Nel is going to be the Godmother to her brother’s first son Paul and the baptism is being held on Sunday in New Prague, MN.  On the surface, this sounds like a simple and quick trip up north – too simple in my opinion – so to spice it up a bit we have made plans to road trip back to Texas in a 1980 Buick LeSabre!
Back story:  Last year during a visit, we were checking out Nels’ grandmother’s home (she doesn’t live there anymore) and I noticed a car just sitting in the garage.  It was a 1980 Buick LeSabre, the two-door model in a rather 80s maroon color with equally 80s maroon interior.  Always one to find nearly every car interesting, I inquired about it to Nel’s mom.  “What’s the deal with that old Buick?”  Her reply:  “You want it?”  Before Nel could scream her objections, I said “yes”.  We decided to drive it back to Texas at some point – sort of a fun road trip through Middle America.  That “point” is NOW!

Nel waiting for our ride at the airport.

We got into Minneapolis yesterday and Mrs. C picked us up at the airport and drove us back to Brainerd.  We spent the day hanging out with Nel’s brother Greg, his wife Gina, and their new boy Paul.  I played with Bubbles while Mr. C took the group out on a quick boat trip – which turned into a long boat trip due to a break down requiring a rather lengthy walk back to the dock.  Later that night (after some attempts at outboard motor repair by Mr. C and me) we all headed out to dinner at BWWs.

Playing with Bubbles - Stick, rock, or snowball - it's all the same to her.

We decided to go pick up the car today.  A local mechanic named Kelly had made sure it was road worthy for our rather lengthy trip.  It fired right up (much to Branelle’s chagrin – she was hoping it wouldn’t run).  We drove across the street to an auto parts store where I bought a couple quarts of oil and a few other items just to be safe and when we came out it started right up again.  Our next stop was a trip through the car wash – the old Buick had about a 10 year layer of dust on it. 

Our new Burgandy Bomber - pre wash.

After the car wash we drove around the block to Fleet Farm to pick up a few more trip essentials such as a small took kit and licorice (Nel doesn’t think it’s a road trip without Red Vines).  When we came out of the store the fun started.  The car wouldn’t start.  It seemed to be the battery, but unfortunately I couldn’t get the hood to open to check anything.  I went back in to Fleet Farm and talked to someone in their automotive department about getting a jump.  He came out and we figured out how to open the hood (a two person job with one lying on the ground under the car) and then jumped the car and drove it back to Nel’s parents’ house.  It was dead as a door nail when we got there.  I decided to jump that car again and take it back to the mechanic hoping it just needed a battery.  It turned out that it needs a new alternator.  Surprisingly (sarcasm) there isn’t an alternator for an ’80 LeSabre anywhere in Brainerd, MN.  They found one and will have it tomorrow morning, along with hood struts (so I won’t have to climb under the car in the unlikely – sarcasm again – event that I need to open the hood on our trip). 


I was invited to a Dock Party for the rest of the afternoon.  A little tip:  If you’re ever invited to a dock party in Minnesota, DON’T GO – it isn’t the same thing as it is in Texas!  I get invited to Dock Parties all the time back home by our boating friends.  Usually the only question is “do I need to bring anything?”  The answer is usually “maybe drinks or something to eat.”  The answer to that question here is “waders and a crescent wrench.”


Getting the Dock Party rolling!
The Dock Party Mr. C invited me to was the removal of the docks from the water for winter.  For all my Texas friends:  in Minnesota they actually have to remove the boats and docks from the water every year because the lakes freeze over.  I know, I was surprised too.  Mr. C, Greg, and I spent an hour or so removing the dock sections from the water and stacking them on the shore.  The boats aren’t coming out until next week (so I got out of that one).  It wasn’t that bad.  They gave me waders because I think the lake is basically just a big glass of ice water, even in the middle of summer.  We also floated the lift for the Glastron out about 30 yards or so.  Now you basically need a boat to get to your boat.

Party over.

No comments:

Post a Comment