Saturday, October 1, 2011

Sailing 101


My buddy Barry recently completed his 101 Sailing Certification and is heading towards his 103/104.  He invited me along today on his first "solo" outing…….on a five hour tour, a five hour tour (singing).

"Captain" Barry taking us out into the Bay.

The boat was an older Watkins 27 that Barry rented as part of his certification.  We headed out from Waterford Harbor on the other side of Clear Lake from my house at about 9:30.  It was actually a little windy - probably right at the limit of what we would want to take on at around 15 - 20 knots.  A little less would have been ideal, but the gusty conditions provided a good learning opportunity.  We motored out of Clear Lake and into Galveston Bay.  There was very little traffic on the water today, making it less stressful to practice some maneuvers. 

Trying to straighten us up - the boat kept listing (kidding).

The 27-footer proved to be a handful when trying to tack in the heavy winds with the jib out.  We figured out quickly that it worked better with a little less sail.  I used to have a 28-foot Balboa out here many years ago, but it's been a long time since I'd captained a sailboat so I just assumed First Mate duties and did what Barry told me.  He has plans to purchase a larger sailboat in the future and sort of take up the lifestyle.  He's got it down, and with a little more experience he'll be ready to hit the open water of the Gulf.  My next big boat will be powered.  I like sailing, but it's a little too much work and I think Nel and I would get more use out of a big cruiser.

We pretty much had the Bay to ourselves - which made it easier to get our "lean" on!

I had a great time today.  It was still hot - about 90 - but with the breeze and the bimini top for shade it was very pleasant.  I learned a lot too - or more accurately remembered a lot.  As I said, it had been many years since I had done any real sailing so it was good to get back out there and re-learn some of the terminology and principles.  We cruised around the bay for about five hours before docking at 2:30.  We had no real issues and Barry hit the dock perfectly - not always the easiest part of the trip.  I'm looking forward to Barry purchasing a bigger boat.  As they say: "What's better than owning a boat?  Having a friend that owns a boat!"

Barry said we didn't need to worry about pirates in Galveston Bay - he was mistaken.


Getting artistic with my photos.


Taking my turn at the helm.

No comments:

Post a Comment