Wednesday, March 28, 2012

2005 Chevrolet SSR


I haven't been blogging much lately but I'd like to get back to making myself write more frequently so I'm going to attempt to increase my blogging output.  The other day I wrote a short piece on the Leaning Tower of Pisa that I've cataloged under "100 Places To See Before You Die".  I'll add some more of those from time to time and I'll start doing some other travel reviews and occasionally write something completely random, but the easiest "series" for me to fall back on when I have nothing else to write about are my "Random Vehicle Blogs" about cars I've had in the past.  They may not be that interesting but I can rattle them off in a few minutes and not feel like I skipped, so here goes….. 

Random vehicle blog…………………today the wheel has selected…

                        2005 Chevrolet SSR


This SSR turned out to be a very fun truck…or car…or convertible…or, whatever.  Defining the SSR is difficult.  If I had to label it I would call it a convertible sports car with a very large trunk.  Nothing wrong with that, right?  While I thought these were interesting when they first came out, I certainly wasn't looking for one when I bought it.  My girlfriend at the time had asked me if I got the chance to pick up some kind of interesting convertible because she had agreed to drive in some parade or something.  Never one to pass up a "reason" to buy a car, I tried to pick up a sweet little Maserati but the deal didn't work out so I bought this SSR as my back-up plan.


It was basically a new truck, only having about 5K miles on it.  I was told the SSR was a hit at the parade and it was certainly a hit around the house afterward.  I can't say I could justify a NEED for one of these, but it sure was fun.  The power hard top was very cool and the thing was fast too!  GM produced just north of 24,000 SSRs from 2003 to 2006 - below expectations and the sole cause for the trucks demise.  The early models had the 5.3 VORTEC engines which weren't incredibly fast.  Mine had the 6.0 liter engine out of the Corvette which boosted horsepower to around 390.

 
I didn't keep the SSR for too long, maybe 6 months, but it was a favorite of just about everyone I knew while I had it.  I especially remember loving it as a golf vehicle.  The rear bed locked solid just like a carpeted trunk and the hardtop didn't take up any extra space when it was down.  The silver was OK, but some of the brighter colors are more fitting for this unique ride.  Our neighbors across the street have a red one which looks great.  I could see getting another one of these someday if the price was right, but I think the $$ for these is heading north as their limited production numbers and quirky uniqueness have caught the eyes of collectors.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment