Thursday, September 25, 2014

1971 Chevrolet C-10

1971 Chevrolet C-10


It's no secret that when I go to an auction I am easily distracted and actually pretty dangerous.  I tend to gravitate towards, shall we say, unique items.  That's what happened with this C-10.  I can't even remember what I paid for it, but it was back before trucks went crazy in the collector car world so it was probably a fraction of what it would cost today.


This truck was a custom build (obviously) and had been done right.  It had exactly 6 miles on the complete build when I bought it.  When I sold it 3 or 4 years later it only had about 200.


The girl I was dating when I bought this might have been a factor in my 'impulse buy' if I'm being honest.  Sheri loved Fords, HATED Chevys, and had the rather large truck you see in the background of the picture above.  "Blue" was what she called her truck, and it wasn't a show piece by any standard, but she loved it and I thought it was funny bringing around a truck that she couldn't help but appreciate and admire…..and it was a CHEVY!


 I entered the truck in one small show and it won the truck class.  The funniest part of it was I had to leave before the awards were presented so Sheri had to accept the trophy.  I had a great time teasing her about it "taking a Chevy for her to finally win a trophy for a truck."  Thank God she had a sense of humor.


 The interior was as mint and custom as the rest of the truck.  It was a simple vehicle, but certainly got a lot of stares. 


It was so wide it barely fit on my trailer.  When I sold the truck, I actually sold the trailer it's on here with it.


 The guy who bought it from me spent a fortune taking it to the next level.  He sent me this picture of his '72 next to the old stepside.  I'm glad it went to a good home.  The thing just sat in my shop most of the time I had it.  I'm just not a custom truck guy.  That said, I certainly appreciated how nicely done this one was and even though it wasn't any fun to drive…at all…I still appreciated it.


How Texas is that!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment