Friday, December 16, 2016

2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

Random Vehicle Blog:

2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible


I bought this Vette at the end of 2002 with less than 20K miles on it and kept it for a little over a year.  It was in like new condition, loaded with options, and an automatic - which I had decided that I preferred in the 5th gen Corvettes.  Of the 14 Corvettes I've owned to date, this was one of my favorite.  I always thought it was sporty and classy at the same time.  I could have been wrong, but at the time I really liked it.  


I haven't owned a Vette newer than a C5, but I've driven plenty.  Having a power top on later Vettes is nice, but for the money these C5s are really hard to beat as a weekender.


While I was fine with it, the 'Torch Red' interior didn't seem to appeal to most people.  I really noticed this when I eventually tried to sell the car.  If I remember correctly, I finally sold it to an obnoxious middle-aged guy with a wealthy girlfriend who I'm pretty sure was financing the purchase for him.


I never look at these anymore.  I'm guessing that's because I've owned so many of them.  They're great to drive though, and extremely reliable.  If you want a nicely equipped, fast and fun car to have in the garage, it's hard to go wrong with a C5 - especially if it hasn't been "customized".

 
Here's a good shot of the HUD (Heads Up Display) system on this Vette. They're pretty common now but at the time you didn't see these too often.  It looks like the gauge info is 'floating' on the hood as you drive down the road.  (You can also see my Saffron Orange Volvo C70 in the distance).  


What a great motor.  It's not a coincidence that these get dropped in all sorts of performance cars.  Don't overlook the C5.  The C4 is a little more fun to drive, but this is such a better car in almost every way - especially being easier to get in and out of.  

No comments:

Post a Comment