Sunday, January 21, 2018

Whispering Lakes Ranch

Whispering Lakes Ranch



This post is only going to be of interest to my neighbors in Whispering Lakes Ranch (and maybe not even interesting to them). None of this is meant to be complaining, just some random things I was thinking about this evening when I saw the community association board meeting notice. We've lived in the hood now for about two years and we really love it.


1 - The Fountains

This is something that amuses us when we pull in just about every day. In the two years we've been here, I can't recall a single occasion where all of our fountains were functioning at the same time. It's always a different combination of some kind or another between the fountains flowing and the lighting. It's especially noticeable at night when you can see lights out in some combination. It's like owning an Alfa Romeo - you know multiple things are going to malfunction, but you never know what combination of malfunctions you're going to get.



2 - The Stop Signs

I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't crazy about the stop signs being added recently. If I lived on Lake Landing I would absolutely want them, but since I don't I would have prefered that they not be added. That said, it's no big deal. It took me about a day to get used to them and I don't really mind stopping an extra time on my way in or out.

I did kind of question the way they were just added without discussion. Perhaps they were mentioned at a meeting that I didn't attend, but it seemed a bit arbitrary, kind of like some of the other things that get added such as rocks and signs. Our community is unique in that it's all private property. My understanding of the streets from a legal perspective is that it would be treated like a giant driveway. The police don't enforce traffic laws within our gates so the signs are really just suggestions.

Sadly, since they've been put in I have witnessed them being ignored on an almost daily basis, whether by ignorance or indifference. Either way, it's a real issue. Now that they are there, you MUST acknowledge them and stop. Whether you agree with their placement or not, it's extremely unsafe to roll right through a stop sign when other people are expecting them to be acknowledged. It's not just the usually to blame "kids" either. I've noticed a number of adults repeatedly blow right through the Lake Landing signs. If you don't like them, fine - come to a community association meeting and voice your displeasure, but please stop being inconsiderate (and dangerous) by ignoring them.

 
3 - The Gates

I know - touchy subject. "The vote" was going on right after we moved in. As a matter of full disclosure, we voted FOR the 24-hour guard shack. I hear it's a long shot to get this done anytime soon, but I thought I would weigh in with a few thoughts just in case.



  • It's important to realize that in our current configuration, we don't live in a "gated community", we live in a "community with a gate". It's more like an apartment complex than a true gated community. It's not really keeping anyone out and it's primary contribution is inconvenience. 
  • My main reason for favoring a guarded gate isn't safety at all (which was the primary point of discussion when it was up for consideration). I do think having a guard would increase our safety levels to a degree though. Having the gates closed now isn't going to stop targeted crimes (i.e. a certain house, car, or person) but it definitely limits crimes of opportunity. Adding a manned station out front would up the protection for both, probably eliminating opportunistic criminals all together. 
  • The best argument for me to add a guard is convenience. We have experience with property ownership in a true gated community. It's great! You can pick up the phone and let the guard know that you have friends that will be using your place for the week, or that you're having a party that night, or that you have contractors coming over. The guards will earn their money, but it's like having a concierge up front. 
  • Adding a guard shack would take our community to the next level. It would increase property values quite a bit in my opinion, and if it's designed and built right it would finally add the dramatic entrance that we lack. The landscape committee has done a wonderful job beautifying the entrance, but what we lack is hardscape. Our entrance and our community pool - which is the first thing you see past the gate - don't really do our unique community justice. I believe we live in the premier neighborhood in the fastest growing city in America. Our entrance should be commensurate with that standing.
  • If we vote on this again, let's make it a simple YES-NO option. Our board does a great job, and a thankless one (you couldn't pay me to deal with what they must have to). Last time we voted on this I felt like the board were going out of their way to not push or promote one of the 4 options. They are elected members and I feel like it's absolutely fine if they make recommendations and support a course of action when we have to vote on something. They have a lot more time invested in the issues our community faces than anyone else and I value their opinion on subjects pertaining to WLR. If the board members support the guard, they should tell us so.
  • I have a hard time imagining that the vast majority wouldn't support this, even though it didn't pass last time. It can't be a money issue, right? I mean let's be honest, you don't move to this neighborhood to be frugal. So if it's not a NO for financial reasons, what possible way are we better off without a 24/7 guard?        


4 - Trees

When we moved in we had someone come and prune some of our existing trees and the growth rate variance between the ones we trimmed and the ones we didn't has been remarkable. We should budget for the care of our community trees to promote growth and canopy. Imagine how great this place will look when all of our oaks and elms and cypress have matured! If we spend a little money on the trees it will speed that process up quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment