Monday, November 19, 2018

2001 Acura 3.2 CL

2001 Acura 3.2 CL


This was my first Acura, and it certainly made a favorable impression. The 3.2 CL was a well-designed vehicle, and this example was basically new and fully loaded. It became a favorite among my friends and family for its smooth and comfortable ride as well as its laundry list of gadgets and features. 


The neatest of those features was the interactive navigation system - the first time I had owned a car with NAV. Everything has NAV today, but it was somewhat rare back then and I thought it was just the coolest thing. By today's standards, this CD based satellite navigation system is like a road atlas, but I was fascinated by being able to say "Find the nearest Burger King" and my car telling me how to get my Whopper!


The engine was strong and responsive. I wouldn't call it fast, but it was certainly "peppy". The only option this car lacked was the 'Type S' package which included a few more horsepower, a wing, and larger wheels and tires. The Type S is my preference, but this one was no slouch. 


It was an automatic, but was equipped with the Sport-Shift option. This allowed you to manually control the shift points without a clutch if desired. In reality, it's a neat idea and technological achievement on cars, but not one that gets used often.



The interior was really comfortable. It had heated power memory seats, an in-dash disk changer, and lots of other cool gadgets for 2001. It also looked great! I thought the silver exterior and charcoal interior worked well together. This car also had the best headlights I had ever encountered at the time. 


I had this car for over a year, during much of which it was used by other people (I don't let people borrow my cars much anymore so don't get any ideas). I never had a problem with it and it was a favorite up till I got rid of it. It wasn't the flashiest ride in the garage, but its relaxing while energetic performance was greatly appreciated. I owned a couple S-Types later.

No comments:

Post a Comment