Tuesday, August 20, 2019

2003 Ford Thunderbird

2003 Ford Thunderbird


When Ford reintroduced the Thunderbird in 2002 after a five year absence it was a big hit in the sense that everybody loved the retro-styling and praised the car as "gorgeous". I was one of them. I thought it was extremely well designed in the looks department and couldn't wait to find out if it was equally good under the skirt.


I bought this 2003 model in 2004 with about 10K miles on the odometer and in excellent condition. I also drove it quite a bit while I had it. It kind of turned into a 2nd daily driver for me. 


After owning it for some time I would say it was a nice car - not a great car, but a nice car. The engine was responsive but not a real burner. The car was fun to drive but didn't handle all that well. It was also comfortable but not as smooth as I would have liked. It's like Ford couldn't decide whether to go the sports car route or the touring car route and just barely missed on both.


Even though I found it lacking in a couple of areas, I thoroughly enjoyed the car and wouldn't mind having another one. The color of this one was rather elegant, but I think I would go for a brighter color if I got another one. 


When I sold this car, it ended up being bought by a guy in Germany. It sat around in my garage for about three months before he finally got it shipped. On a side note, we bought a '56 Thunderbird this year and it's nearly this same color grey.


I watch these from time to time at auctions. They seem really cheap to me for a classy weekender but I never pull the trigger for some reason. If you like them you should go for it. They're cheap to maintain and I think ageing very well. Most of them come with a hardtop too (although you'll just end up having to store it somewhere).

No comments:

Post a Comment