Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Europe 2019: NCL Getaway - Stuff To Do

Europe 2019

NCL Getaway

Stuff To Do


The day following our stop in Sweden was a much appreciated sea day so I'll cover some of the activities available on the Getaway as we near the end of our trip.

Ropes Course






They had a neat little ropes course with a short zip line and even had a fun little course for Samantha. I should remind you that this was a Baltic cruise in the late fall which meant it was chilly and basically full of old people so we pretty much had sporty activities to ourselves whenever we wanted to go. I imagine a Caribbean cruise would be a different animal. We did the ropes course a lot because we all liked it and it was different. 

You just walk up, they put a harness on you, and you go. Sometimes we were the only people on it. It would be Branelle and me and like six crew members manning the course. Samantha really had the kids course to herself and she loved it. 


Rock Wall


Another playground we had to ourselves for the most part was the rock climbing wall. Samantha had never done any climbing walls before and she wanted to try it. 


I was a big fan of this guy. He was Russian, but I can't remember his name. Samantha tried the wall but got scared before she made it to the top and came back down. To my surprise, she immediately wanted to try again. This guy gave her some instruction and helped her make it all the way.





She gave him a big hug when she made it down and she loved the climbing wall after that. He was great with her.





I have to tell this quick story. I've done my fair share of climbing and repelling over the years but I had never actually been on a man-made climbing wall. I gave it a go and it was fun. After I got to the top I just leaned back and pushed off after telling the belay I was coming down. It was the same Russian guy that had helped Sam, but he wasn't ready for my mass so when I jumped off it lifted him up in the air! His buddy grabbed him and he anchored with the railing until I got down and we all had a good laugh about it....and then Nel suggested I should try a salad every now and then. 

Nana gave the wall a go as well!

Art Auctions


I like the art auctions that Park West puts on during just about every cruise it seems. I know they aren't for everyone, and I know if you don't know what you're looking at you can overpay for art you could get elsewhere cheaper. I like to go because I learn quite a bit usually and I do like to buy pieces that I want to look at everyday in my house. Nel goes for the champagne (which is silly because we had the unlimited free drinks package).



In fact, one of my favorite areas on the ship is the art gallery - nothing more than a hallway on the Getaway, but where they display art on a rotating basis throughout the cruise. 



The main damage we did on this cruise was this original by LEBO - David Le Batard, and yes he is the brother of Dan Le Batard that you see on ESPN all the time. Nel actually fell in love with this one and had to have it. It's titled Home Sweet Home, and she sees our little family in the owls (the two little ones are our cats). I liked it because we bought it on the Getaway and LEBO actually did the hull artwork for the ship. They had to offload it in Germany on their next trip and ship it back to Florida to be re-framed and then ship it to us. We just got it hung on our wall this week! 



Other Things




I could go on for quite a while about other things to do on the Getaway. Yes, they have a mini golf course and trampolines and even a miniature bowling alley (that was pretty fun by the way). They also have tons of water slides and pools that we didn't go near - BRRRRR!

Oh, and lots of theme parties...


I think this was the rave party and some of our new friends were going so we headed out as well. 

I felt like the NCL Getaway had plenty of activities to keep you as busy as you wanted to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment