Tuesday, August 23, 2016

1989 Ford Thunderbird SC

1989 Ford Thunderbird SC



This was actually one of the first cars I ever owned.  I don't have a lot of pictures of it as it was around before I became really interested in documenting all of my toys.  This one took me through college for the most part.

1989 was the first year for the Thunderbird SC.  The SC stood for “Super Coupe”, but the car had a 6 cylinder supercharged engine so the factory was calling the car SC for supercharged before “Super Coupe” was ever thought of.  I got this one in early 1990.  I had looked at new ones but the dealers weren’t budging at the time.  This one had been purchased in Oklahoma City and returned a couple months later because the individual couldn’t afford the payments.  I think it only had about 400 miles on it.  I got a pretty good deal and jumped on it.



It was automatic and had some of the neatest gadgets I had seen at the time.  It had keyless entry, automatic headlights, variable speed power steering, and more.  It was also the first American car since the 1972 Avanti to come from the factory with a Supercharger.  It was very fast (or at least I thought so), but also very comfortable and smooth.  The wheels were painted white to match the car, and the interior was burgundy.



The SC was not the most reliable car in the world, but it was under warranty almost the entire time I owned it so it wasn't too much of a problem for me...or more accurately, my parents. 



I kept this car for about six years, the majority of which it was a daily driver.  I made very few changes to the car over the years.  I tinted the windows and blacked out the head and tail lights, but other than that it remained pretty much stock.  I sold it to one of my best friends Erich.  He drove it for a few years before becoming a family man and trading it in on a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  

On a side note, when I blog about one of my cars it is selected randomly from my list of what I've owned.  The other day I was talking about buying a Porsche 928 and that night the random selector chose my old 928.  I eventually sold this Thunderbird to Erich, and I currently have Erich's '96 Corvette in my garage as of this week.  Weird.  

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos from 1990! This car must have really stood out back then, as most cars were boxes on wheels. Did it get much attention?

    ReplyDelete