Friday, December 21, 2012

2002 Lexus SC430 #2

Random Vehicle Blog......

2002 Lexus SC430 #2


What a frustrating car this was!

I love Lexus - we have an LS in our garage right now - and while I always thought the SC430 was an ugly car, once I bought one (my first one, not this one) I grew to absolutely love it.  When I saw this beauty with under 2K miles at an auction, I couldn't resist.  The reason it had such low mileage however was that it had been a theft recovery.  There was no damage per say, and the title was clear, but it was missing a lot of parts.  Most of them were merely cosmetic, but Lexus is very proud of their parts.


Here's an example:  See the missing trunk trim piece on the left?  You'd think something like that couldn't possibly cost too much, but Lexus would disagree.  I think I spent about $8K in just trim parts for the car.  I was still way ahead though.


The car actually rode and drove fine when it was finally put back together, but it still had a number of annoying issues.  One in particular was that the navigation system wouldn't stay calibrated.  After a couple days of driving around it would always think I was in the middle of Clear Lake.  There were also a few interior parts that didn't fit quite right either.  In the end, I got it as nice as I could and sold it locally.  The low miles saved me, but I was disappointed that it didn't work out.  Branelle has actually grown to really like these so maybe we'll end up with another one some day.


No comments:

Post a Comment