Thursday, January 10, 2013

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71

Random Vehicle Blog:


2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71





When Chevy first introduced the Avalanche, I thought they were hideous.  They were wildly popular, however, and started showing up all over Texas.  It took a while, but they finally grew on me enough to purchase one, more out of curiosity than anything else.



This one was almost new when I got it and was basically in perfect condition.  It was a 4-wheel drive model (as signified by the Z71), and kind of a mid-level package truck as far as options were concerned.  Looks aside, one impressive aspect of the truck was immediately apparent - it was easily the best riding truck I had ever driven at the time.  It rode like a luxury car.  Bumps went unnoticed as it chewed up even the worst roads around.



You probably won't remember, but the Avalanche was heavily advertised for it's unique ability to change its configuration in the cargo area.  They used to run commercials where some guy would walk up to an Avalanche owner and say "Change for a dollar?"  The owner would say "ok", hop out and "change" the truck then take the guys dollar.  I got the "change for a dollar?" thing twice (and was a little slow getting it both times).  I didn't think I would ever have a reason to open the truck up, but it came in handy a couple of times.


 With everything sealed up it was like a locked trunk.

Removal of the panels was fairly simple.

More panel removing.

The rear glass could be popped out and stored for an open-air experience.

Fully opened.
Set up as a regular pickup truck.


The Avalanche made a great passenger vehicle and a great pickup truck, but it really lacked as an SUV.  As a dog owner, it just wasn't what I needed.  The back seats folded down, but they didn't have a smooth or useful enough area for a dog to lie down in.  



Other than that, I loved the truck.  It was well designed and well thought out.  I'm still more of an SUV guy to this day, but I wish they could all ride like that Avalanche.

No comments:

Post a Comment