Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Renting a Ferrari in Maranello

Testing, 1...2...3

The entire point of this post is to test my ability to insert a video into my blog.  I want to see what it looks like and decide if it's worth messing with if I ever have anything 'video worthy' in the future.  With that said, here is the video and I'll follow with a short explanation. 




This video was shot from an in-car camera on the Autostrada just outside of Modena, Italy.  Branelle and I were spending a few days in the "Motor Valley" and decided to rent a Ferrari in Maranello.  I chose a red 458 Italia and the Ferrari guy took me out on a short tutorial drive and after about 15 minutes or so, he says "OK - Full gas."  I didn't argue.  We went from 0-150mph in just a few seconds and he never flinched.  I had no idea where the road or traffic was going to change so I lifted at 150.  I wonder how much longer he would have let me go?


Maranello is not a big town, but there are surprisingly quite a few places where you can rent a Ferrari or Lamborghini.  It's expensive - I'm not even going to get into that.  If you want to spend any appreciable time with the car it's going to cost you a lot.  We went with a place called Pit Lane and they were great.  Pretty little Italian chicks as your personal liaisons and dudes polishing your car right before you take delivery - not exactly what I get with Avis.


A 458 doesn't drive quite the same as a normal car, and there is a lot more at risk and a lot more power that could get you into trouble than most people are used to, so extra instruction is provided - and appreciated.  The one thing he emphasized was "No gas in corners".  Fair enough.



Heading out onto the streets of Maranello is a little unnerving in someone else's new Ferrari.  I wasn't worried about me or my driving, but Italian roads are tiny....and full of crazy Italian drivers in their little Fiats and Lancias!  Seriously, at one point Nel and I played a game where we tried to spot cars that didn't have any damage on them.

   
I loved the car, and I have to say it kind of suited me (I know, that sounds awful).  I had owned a couple of Ferrari's prior to this trip but the week really made me fall in love with them all over again.  I bought one about six months later.


I don't want it to go to her head, but my wife is pretty cool I suppose.  She indulges my eccentric hobbies and actually makes them more fun by having a good time with it.  As a thank you I approved her "all the cappuccino and wine you can drink" plan for the entire trip.

1 comment:

  1. Make your dreams come true and ride in a luxury Aston Martin, Lotus, Ferrari, Maserati and more. Discover our luxury sports car hire range at France. All of the luxury cars and super brands are right here: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW and more. Best luxury rentals in France!

    Rent ferrari
    Rental ferrari
    Hire ferrari
    ferrari car rental
    rent a ferrari for a day
    rent a ferrari near me
    rent Ferrari F8 Spider

    ReplyDelete