Friday, September 9, 2016

1977 Ferrari 308 GTB

Random Vehicle Blog:

1977 Ferrari 308 GTB


If I had any idea how to insert music files you'd be listening to the Magnum PI theme song right now.  Magnum's car was the better GTS version with a targa roof but still, pretty cool.  I remember having plans to dress up for Halloween in 2005 as Magnum but the car let me down with mechanical issues and crushed my dreams of having the ultimate costume accessory (until this year...if I actually get invited to any parties).



The interior of this car was in great shape, having obviously been redone.  The paint was also new, but not a quality job and was rather sad upon close examination.  The car ran well for the most part while I owned it, which was a pleasant surprise from what I expected with a 30-year old Ferrari.



The 308 is rather common by Ferrari standards, and back when I owned this car it wasn't particularly coveted by collectors.  As a result, I got it pretty cheap.  Things have changed over the past few years and this car would easily be worth three times what I sold it for 10 years ago (actually, it would be worth three times what it was two years ago - Ferrari's have really jumped).  



While it certainly garnered a huge amount of attention, it really wasn't a good driving car.  The biggest problem with these things is the lack of power steering in my opinion.  Some old cars feel fine with a simple rack and pinion set up - even nimble.  All of my older Ferrari's have just been a chore to drive at anything under highway speeds.  


Another thing that you get a lot when you have one of these is "How fast is it?"  The truth is, not very - not by today's standards anyway.  If you could really drive, you might get to 60 in under 7 seconds.


If you're interested at all in cars, I would recommend owning some kind of exotic to everyone at least once in your life, not because it's a good idea, but because it's an experience - like skydiving or climbing Everest.  This car cost me less than a new F350, but was much more interesting and certainly one I won't forget.  


The only issue is the uneasy feeling about the mechanics of the car.  It's not so much worrying about it breaking, but what it will take to fix it when it does (and it will).  You'll find yourself hearing things all the time, whether there's anything to hear or not.


Notice the colored tape covering one of the indicator lenses?  Not exactly a 100-point show car.

No comments:

Post a Comment