Tuesday, September 6, 2016

2000 Ducati 900SS

2000 Ducati 900SS


So, 'Random Vehicle Blog' tonight, and this one was a pretty interesting story at least.  I don't have a long history with motorcycles, but I've owned a handful.  The first one I ever bought was a '95 Ducati (http://srod23.blogspot.com/2012/06/1995-ducati-900-supersport-cr.html) that I bought from a friend of a friend.  I mention it only because that same friend of a friend was involved with this bike as well.


I came across this one in rough shape as pictured here.  It had been seized as payment for unpaid legal fees by some attorney and was just sitting in a parking lot chained up.  The rear wheel was broken and I had no idea if it would run or not.  I bought it anyway (of course) and hauled it home where it sat in my garage for a while.  

My buddy Barry wondering why I have an interest in this stupid thing.
The same guy that I had bought my '95 Ducati from heard that I had this one and came by to take a look at it.  He offered to take it and go through it for me if I wanted and I was happy to send it home with him.  Over the next few months he basically took the bike apart bolt by bolt and rebuilt it.  I paid for any parts it needed, but he just did the work because he enjoyed it.  When he was finished it looked like a new bike.  I told him to keep it as long as he wanted and ride it but he gave it back a month or so after that. 


I kept this bike for about a year after it was fixed up.  I actually had two Italian sport bikes at the same time, both yellow, but rarely rode either of them.  This one was actually a pretty pleasant cycle.  It started up easily and never overheated.  It was also a fairly comfortable bike to ride. 


I never tested the full abilities of the 900cc engine, but I'm sure it would have done more than I was willing to.  I eventually sold this one to a Harley collector in Kentucky.  He got a great deal on a great bike since I didn't have much in it and wasn't being greedy.

Heading home in a blur!


In addition to the two yellow sport bikes, I also happened to own this rare yellow Range Rover at the time.  I swear I don't have a thing for yellow - I don't even really like the color that much - but it was quite a coincidence and made for a rather subtle and understated garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment