Friday, September 2, 2016

1999 Pontiac Trans Am 30th Anniversary Edition

Random Vehicle Blog:

1999 Pontiac Trans Am 30th Anniversary Edition


This will be a short post tonight, but not because the car isn't interesting.  It's just that for some reason, even though I had this TA for over a year and drove it quite a bit, I took almost no pictures of it (I've got like 85 pictures of my Honda Insight but only 3 of this rare Trans Am - I have no idea?).

Pontiac made 1600 of these 30th Anniversary Edition TAs, all of them white with blue accents.  A small number (535) were convertibles, but mine was an automatic coupe.  They all had blue anodized wheels which I thought were really neat.  I bought mine at an auction with almost 100K miles on it and showing signs of age.  I did what I do - poured a bunch of money into it to make it as good as it could be.  I had the rear end rebuilt, the wheels refinished, and a few other odds and ends attended to.  It was a very nice driver when I was finished with it and I really liked the car.  Others in my "posse" at the time didn't seem to share my enthusiasm for this one for some reason, and after a year of liking it more than everyone else I finally sold it.


This plate on the battery indicated that my car was #133 (out of 1600).  I sold it locally and a couple years later I came across it at a car show with a "For Sale" sign on it.  I thought about it, but ultimately let it go.


My history with Pontiac is a short one.  We have an older Trans Am in our garage right now and everyone loves it.  Truth is though, this was a MUCH better car.  It drove great, was pretty fast, didn't look like every other car on the road, never gave me any trouble, and it had style!  These final generation Firebirds aren't particularly collectible yet, but if you want a unique car that you can actually drive and certainly won't depreciate, I'd say it's a winner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment