Thursday, November 17, 2016

Guest House Construction: Part 12

"We've been framed!"


So the guest house is now basically framed.  The framing crew flew through the initial stuff in about two weeks, but then it slowed down as it took just as long to do a bunch of little things.  It actually looks like a house now and not a spider web of lumber.

 
One thing that seemed to take forever was adding these metal "straps" everywhere.  Basically, just about every piece of lumber is strapped together. We are in the zone that requires us to build for "windstorm" compliance, and I imagine these are a product of that.


The additional garage spaces (pictured here is the 4-car tandem section) seem to draw the most comments.  People walk in and say things like "Man, this is a big garage" - and I'm thinking "I should have doubled it".  You can never have too much garage space.


Exterior sheeting is already underway.  I'm guessing a few days and this will be done.  It's funny, but when you walk through a house that's open - just framed - all the rooms seem smaller than you imagined them, but when they're closed up, as they are with the sheeting, they start to feel bigger.  Strange.  


I came home one day and there were all these orange notes spray painted throughout the house.  I assumed it was the inspector telling us what we needed to do to pass.  Turns out we had already passed our framing inspection and the notes were from my builder to the framing crew of things he wanted done before they were finished.


The most fun part of the build has been watching the upstairs space take shape.  We weren't really sure what we would end up with but it's turning out cooler than I had hoped.  It has been referred to as a "Man Cave", but that's not really accurate.  I'm trying to think of something clever to call it and I'm open to suggestions.

The Manetarium?
The Fortress of Solid-dudes?
- If I call it "The Gym", I can honestly say things like "I spent 3 hours at the gym last night."

Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment