Thursday, April 20, 2017

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special Edition


If someone ever covers the history of the automobile, the Miata will have a place in that story.  I'm not sure if Mazda were brilliant or just lucky, but they really hit on something with this little car and it has served them well for decades.  


I bought this particular model in 2003 and it only had about 8K miles on it.  It was showroom new and I kept it that way.  A couple interesting facts about this vehicle:

  1. It was actually kind of a rare car - not that it made it valuable or anything, just unique.  First off it was an SE, for Special Edition.  Most rare of all, it had also been ordered with an automatic.  
  2. To this day, this is the only Mazda I've ever owned.

I loved the color combo on the interior.  Even though this was a "cute" little car, I would describe the interior as "handsome".  It smelled like a showroom car.


The SE package came in either a Mica Yellow, or this Titanium Gray.  The Titanium Gray Metallic came with a saddle brown leather faced interior and door panel inserts. It also included a two-tone, three spoke Nardi steering wheel with a Nardi leather shift knob and handbrake lever. In addition there was a Torsen limited-slip differential, a 6-speed transmission, white gauge faces with aluminum accent rings, aluminum door handles, chrome fuel lid and aluminum scuff plates and foot pedals, in dash 6-disk CD changer with speed-sensing audio volume control, and unique keys and badging.  Mazda sold 1491 SE Miatas in Titanium Gray Metallic.


SE package or not, I have to admit that I get the appeal of the Miata.  This is coming from someone who likes giant AMG Merc's and multiple turbos on his 911s.  This car was a lot of fun to drive and actually very pleasant to live with. The balance is great and it sort of a point and go car.  It didn't feel like it needed more power - it was perfect like it was.


The little 1.8-liter 4-cylinder was just right for this car.  Front engined, rear drive, and just enough power to be fun.  You could throw the car around at will.  

  
I never look at Miatas.  After writing this though, and remembering my little SE, I might reconsider adding one.  They hardly cost anything, they're reliable, and they're fun.  My wife would probably enjoy having one around as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment