Friday, January 17, 2020

Europe 2019: Subway Tour

Europe 2019

Subway Tour

Saint Petersburg, Russia


I know - this one seems kind of weird. That's what I thought too when Anya said she wanted to show us the subway. I'm not a huge fan of public transportation in general (or more specifically of me being on it) and I especially don't enjoy the subway when forced. Turns out the subways in St Petersburg are actually worth seeing.



Anya had Edward drop us off at a station and then drive to pick us up at some other station. We hopped on an escalator that took us down into the deepest subway system in the world. 



The depth and length of some of the escalators and moving walkways was impressive, but the real draw is the architecture. The stations we visited were all clean and beautiful with stunning artwork - usually in the form of mosaics like the one behind us.




It's hard to tell in these pictures, but these things weren't flat. They dipped down in the middle and then back up at the other end. And again, spotless.



I like this picture because the girl behind us is just sort of looking at us and I imagine thinking "What kind of weirdo takes pictures in the subway?"



The weirdest thing to me though when riding the subway or walking through the stations or riding the escalators is how quiet it is. No one talks, or smiles, or does anything. They must have thought we were absolute lunatics for chatting and laughing. To be fair though, Russia is not the only place I've noticed this. It is a bit strange though if you're from Texas, like we are, where everyone smiles and chats with you in public, whether you want them to or not. 



If you visit Saint Petersburg, take the time to head underground and check it out. Nel tells me that the stations in Moscow are equally ornate.

No comments:

Post a Comment