Monday, January 13, 2020

Let's Build A Bar - Part 6

Let's Build A Bar

Part 6


So the bar is actually done, more or less. I apologize for not posting this sooner. I have a bad habit of posting the process of things like this and then not showing the finished results - and then someone will call me out on it so here you go.

One of the last steps that I needed to complete was to trim out around the entryway. My initial attempt failed - curved walls are tricky and the simple trim options that you can buy at Home Depot just don't work.



I ended up ordering this rubber trim on line. It allowed me to exactly match what was in our house already (they have every trim imaginable) and it was super easy to shape. It came in a roll and I just had to make sure I got my measurements and cuts right.



I got it up and got it painted and it looks like it's always been there. I then turned my attention to painting the walls outside the bar.



I had lots of cans of paint from when we had our entire home painted prior to moving in, but none of it seemed to match. Paint looks different when it dries than it does when you put it on so I just kept at it but nothing seemed to match. Fortunately, you can take a small piece - the size of a dime will work - of whatever color you want to match to HD and they will mix it up. I eventually got it done.




I then turned my attention to the backsplash. We selected some darker blue subway tiles and something different for an accent piece behind the shelves. I didn't take a lot of pictures during this work. We also got the lighting hooked up. That didn't go so smoothly but it ultimately got done.



I then had to have the tile guys come back out and drill holes for my soda fountain. It took me a couple weeks to get them out which was frustrating. After that it was just adding pulls and then the minor issue of hooking up the soda system. That's sarcasm - the soda system has been a nightmare and I'm still struggling with it.

Anyway, here are some finished pictures - some with the lights on and some with the mains dimmed and the LED stuff all on.













There are still a few minor things to work through but I think it turned out pretty good, especially considering it wasn't even space in the house before. It took a lot longer than I was expecting and certainly cost a lot more, but I'm happy with it. 

An added bonus is that apparently, if you're five and under, the bar can double as a dance club. The kids love it when I put the lights in what I call "Party Mode"!





No comments:

Post a Comment