Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cozumel Country Club


Cozumel Country Club

Cozumel, Mexico

The only golf course on the island of Cozumel is the Cozumel Country Club.  The lack of quantity, however, does not equate to a lack of quality.  The course is spectacular!  It’s a Nicklaus Design  that maintains the natural swamp lands that it was built upon.  The result is a beautiful layout that is VERY difficult.  The course covers an enormous amount of acreage and missing the fairway is basically a one stroke penalty nearly every time.  They warn you that there are crocodiles in “all water features”.  I did see at least two (one was MASSIVE).  The real menace though turned out to be iguana.  I’m not talking about little aquarium pets – some of these things are huge.  They are EVERYWHERE.  You have to dodge them on the cart paths and shoo them off the tee boxes.  They also fall out of the trees constantly and make a lot of racket.  I was 12-over on the front nine and I don’t think my round got any better from there.  It’s a great course and a great experience.  If you are in Cozumel, check it out. 

I was too busy looking for my ball all day to take any pictures, but here's a shot from our balcony overlooking the course.


No comments:

Post a Comment