Friday, June 8, 2012

Lincoln Park Golf Course



Lincoln Park Golf Course

San Francisco, California

I was in San Francisco with Branelle in July of 2008 and had a morning to kill.  Determined to play golf, I took a 9 bus adventure topped off by a cab ride to The Presidio Golf Club only to be told that I couldn’t get on because of a tournament (not what I was told over the phone).  I caught another bus to the next closest course – Lincoln Park.



Yes, that’s the Golden Gate Bridge behind me.  Lincoln Park is one of three courses actually in San Francisco and has been around for over 75 years.  It was really in less than average condition but WOW, what views! 


This odd shrine was right next to one of the fairways.  The course had much more elevation change than I was expecting.


Truth be told, I didn’t enjoy the round that much.  I had left my clubs at home and had to rent.  They gave me these horrible knock-offs and I never could get a feel for them.  The weather was great, but the course conditions were terrible.  It was like playing from your yard.  The cart paths were equally bad and you could forget about the sand traps.  They paired me with a very nice gentleman who was also a very good golfer – better than me.  Unfortunately he was also a walker so the round took some time.


Here I am on one of the greens with Yong (?).  The course not only overlooked the bay, but had tremendous views of the entire city as well.

 
I’m surprised this land is still a golf course quite frankly.  As a development it would be worth hundreds of millions.  I would have enjoyed the course more if Branelle had been there and if I had brought my own clubs, but no complaints.  If I get back to SF I’ll try the other two courses, especially Olympic where the US Open will be played next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment