Wednesday, February 4, 2015

1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible


I kind of bought this car out of curiosity.  I had never owned a Saab (and to this day it's the only one I ever have) and at the time of purchase I was without a convertible as well.  This car had low miles and was in pretty good condition so I grabbed it on a whim.  I have to say that Saab made a weird car - not necessarily bad, just weird.


Over the years, Saab produced some really good cars.  Sadly, they have gone under for good.  They could have been saved when they were acquired by GM, but the executives at Saab refused to compromise with regards to build quality and parts utilization as GM instructed and finally the Detroit giant had had enough.


I found the interior to have a kind of cheap feeling, almost like an American economy car.  It was also the first car I had seen with the ignition on the center console.  The convertible top worked well and the car had a functional back seat, but was just OK to drive.  


I wouldn't rule out buying another Saab someday, but only the older classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment