Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Anniversary Gifts

My wife and I decided early on that we didn't really want to do the traditional "buy each other presents thing" for our anniversaries.  She would probably tell you that if I want something I just buy it anyway and I like to tell her that "every day is her anniversary" with me! :-)  We decided instead that we would try to take a trip every year to celebrate.  We try to do quite a bit of traveling anyway, but we committed to really trying to be somewhere other than home on our anniversary each year.

We got married on September 11th, 2010 (that's right guys - easy to remember).  For our 1st anniversary in 2011, a friend of ours happened to be getting married in Albuquerque, New Mexico, that weekend so it worked out perfectly.  We took 5 or 6 days and just made a really long weekend out of it.  On our actual anniversary we went to Santa Fe.


For our 2nd anniversary in 2012, we got quite a bit more ambitious (and had more time) and headed to Europe for nearly a month.  We drove all over the alp countries and then took about a two week cruise from Venice to Rome and then spent a few days there before heading back.  If I was attempting to raise the bar every year on anniversary trips this was going to be hard to top...and in fact, I haven't even come close.

 
We just couldn't get away in early September for our 3rd anniversary in 2013, so we made the best of it and just headed to San Antonio for the weekend.  Not glamorous I know, but it was still fun.  We did a lot of traveling in August and October and Nel had work commitments so we said we'd do something big for our 4th year.


2014 ended up being a rather brutal year for just about all our travel plans.  Unfortunate events cancelled some big trips we had planned and then Nel got knocked up and was due in late October so we didn't really want to go overseas in September.  We decided to just head to Fredericksberg, Texas, for another long weekend.  Once again, we had a great time but I'm not happy with the trend of our anniversary trips.

Took her to Stonehenge!  Not really - this is in Fredericksberg.
So this year will be our 5th anniversary and I'm planning something really cool.  I'm pretty sure Branelle doesn't read my blog so as long as the only person who does (mom) keeps it a secret I should be OK....oh, and we need you to come down and watch the cats and the kid!  

1 comment: