Thursday, September 15, 2011

2000 Chevrolet Corvette


Random Vehicle Blog tonight…….spinning…….and the selection is….

                    2000 Chevrolet Corvette

 
This was actually my first Corvette ever.  I think I've had 13 over the years, including one in our garage right now.  I bought this one at the Manheim Auction in Houston.  It had quite a few miles on it so I got a pretty good deal, but it was in great shape and drove as good as it looked.  White is a good color for this car, and I also liked the black leather interior.  This particular model was an automatic and had the HUD (Heads-Up Display) option, the first car I ever owned with this feature, that displayed the gauge package on the windshield which made it look like it was floating on the hood - really cool!


It took me a while to get used to the styling of the 5th Generation Corvette (C5) when it was introduced in 1997.  I learned to like the front end, but never was too crazy about the rear.  It just has sort of a funny, unclean look to it.


The storage area for the removable top was very well thought out.  It's certainly not the same as a convertible, but still offers the open-air experience on nice days.  The interior was fairly comfortable, and the car was surprisingly easy to get in and out of considering how low the seating was.


If you're looking for the most impressive aspect of this car, however, just pop the hood.  This thing was a beast!  Even with the automatic and traction control it would pin you in your seat for as long as you could hold your foot down.  At the time, I would say it was the fastest car I had owned.  It was certainly one of the most powerful cars dollar for dollar in the world.

 
I drove this thing a lot while I had it, and while I can't say it was the most pleasant car to live with, it certainly was fun.


I ended up selling this one to a dealer in Colorado.  I wouldn't want to drive one every day, but for a weekend "go fast" toy, it has a lot of merit.  One negative is that there are so many of them out there.  It's not very exotic, and it's not very comfortable, but its sheer power for very little money and its reliability make it desirable nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment