Tuesday, January 17, 2017

"The Steak & A Half"

I feel like I don't educate enough on this blog, so I thought I'd share a simple life hack that I like to call "the steak and a half".  In this example from dinner tonight it literally applies to steak, but any food is fair game really.

In order to accomplish this rather simple ruse you need the following things:

  1. A healthy eating partner who likes salad
  2. A willingness on your part to not eat salad
Luckily for me my wife loves to eat salad and I actually refuse to touch the stuff.  

First, you head to dinner at a place where you know your stooge will order something you like to eat. Tonight Nel and I headed to Boondoggle's, a local pub that she loves and that serves decent food.  Monday is 'Cheap Steak Night' (that's what I call it anyway - I think they call it 'Ribeye Night', but whatever). They serve a very good 14oz Ribeye with a baked potato and a salad for $14 I think.  I always order it, and, more importantly, I know that Branelle will get the same thing.

As I mentioned before, I don't eat salad.  I used to just say "No salad, thank you" and wait for my steak, but not anymore.  I order the salad.....exactly as Nel orders hers.  When they bring them out I just sit back as Nel devours her bowl of greens and then when she's done, I slide mine right across the table to her.

  
My wife is healthy, and she loves a good salad.  She can't resist and she will plow right through that 2nd bowl in no time.  I just wait patiently.


When they bring the steaks out I just calmly eat mine and then just sit there, knife sharpened, fork at the ready, until she cries "uncle".  My wife can eat me under the table usually, but she's too disciplined to stuff 14oz of beef into her stomach when she's full on salad.  She'll eventually just slide at least half that steak right across the table and then I go back to work.

One and a half steaks for me, and all it cost was a little rabbit food.  You're welcome America!  

No comments:

Post a Comment