Wednesday, March 29, 2017

2001 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 7.3

2001 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 7.3


My program has selected this Super Duty for me tonight.  I've had, I think, eight of these things over the years - I used to keep one around all the time - so I won't write a bunch about them in general, but I will talk about lifts.

This was the 1st Super Duty I ever owned.  I bought it to tow stuff, and it was pretty basic but clean.  It was decided that it should be lifted.  Now, lifted trucks in Texas are about as common as trees.  You can't look in any direction without seeing one.  I think owning a lifted Super Duty is a requirement for living in my neighborhood.  I didn't know anything about lifts, but I had "help" in the form of my girlfriend at the time Sheri and my buddy Max.  Max was no stranger to lifting trucks, and as a matter of fact now owns a business called Maxxed Performance, which specializes in lifting trucks.  Sheri probably knew more about lifting Fords than either of us at the time.  I was basically just labor.

We did the entire job in Max's dad's driveway one evening.  It was quite a job, but certainly interesting for me.  We did it in the driveway with jacks and regular tools, but think it would be a much easier job with a lift.  We spent most of our time jacking different points on the truck.


This is what the truck looked like right before we lifted it.  You can see my new tires and boxes of parts sitting off to the right.  Yes, it looked better with the lift, but did it improve the truck?  Not really.  It certainly didn't ride as well.  I'm cool with lifting trucks, but maybe in moderation.  A little lift so you can put a little more wheel and tire on the thing is okay.  Maybe don't go so far that you need a ladder though.  

That said, if you DO want to lift your truck, or do anything else with it, go see my buddy Max at Maxxed Performance in Baytown.  He can do as little or as much as you want on just about anything you can drive.  I'm willing to bet that if he hasn't used a product you're looking at himself, he knows someone who has. He'll also tell you if something is a bad idea.  I appreciate that.    

http://www.maxxedperformance.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment