Tuesday, May 23, 2017

2002 Mini Cooper

2002 Mini Cooper


I'm leading with this picture so you can get the laughing out of the way.  When Mini (or BMW actually) reintroduced the Mini Cooper in 2002 it was an immediate hit.  They were rare in Texas for a while due to a legal dispute over distribution which meant you couldn't get them at dealerships here.  I bought this in 2002 with just a couple thousand miles on it.



This one was kind of a base model with a small motor and very few options.  The checkered flag graphics on the roof were a dealer added option and kind of neat.  I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed the car.  It's a lot roomier inside that you would ever imagine and very fun to drive.


The front seats were quite comfortable, even for someone of my size.


This shows just how small the Mini really is.  There was some discussion as to whether it could fit in a long bed or not (the answer is no - width).


For some reason I bought a Cooper S while I still had this one.  It was an even more impressive car.  Another surprise to me was how much attention this thing got.  They were still rare around Houston when I had mine.  A year later these things were everywhere, but for a while I was explaining the car at gas stations and stop lights everywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment