Monday, May 15, 2017

Guest House Construction: Part 22

Guest House Construction: Part 22


I promised to go weekly, so here we go.  We did actually get some stuff done this week.  The first item is some minor progress on something that's been pending for weeks - bricks.  The bricks have been delivered and even distributed around the house for some time now, but not installed.  I think the issue is that it's not important to my builder because "it's a step that can be done anytime".  It's important to me though because apparently you can't run electric to the house until the brick is on and I need the electric before the pool can be finished.  I've whined about it enough that he actually did hire a brick crew and they came out and attached all these brick ties on Monday morning.


At this point you have to wait for an inspection and that didn't happen until Thursday.  Now with the little green sticker attached, I'm hopeful that a brick crew will wake me up bright and early Monday morning.


The biggest progress this week was made on the back porch addition.  The framers started last week and worked hard all week to finish up.  


I wasn't 100% sure about the crew when they first started, but it quickly became apparent that they knew what they were doing.  The walkway had some odd angles and a substantial drop but they zipped through it.


As the week went on, the same crew that was doing the framing turned into a decking crew and a cornice crew.  They had all the materials they needed and they did a good job.

 
Before the framing crew was even done the roofer got started.  It was important because our main home was slightly at risk if we had a serious rain storm until the roof was on.  He worked by himself one day and made some progress but returned the next with help and knocked it out.  


The roof is on and most of the cornice work is done.  


In what has to be the best example of coordination so far of the entire build, the electrician crew came out and wired everything during their window so we could close it all up.  On one day late in the week, between the house and the pool, there were 20 people working at our place.  I was employing more people than Initech (after the fire).  


Another step in the right direction occurred with the delivery of cabinets....finally. The house is ready for them, so hopefully someone will come install them this week.


The only other thing of interest - at least to me - is that I picked up the vanity I had made for the garage bathroom.  I had this built by Lamp Monkey up in Humble.  Lee did a great job and we'll see how it looks soon.  I've got him working on something else for my Man Cave as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment