Wednesday, May 31, 2017

2017 Keels & Wheels

2017 Keels & Wheels

Concours d' Elegance


I've been going to the annual Keels & Wheels event for nearly two decades.  It's right here in Seabrook and it attracts some world class cars and boats every year.  This year, on a whim, I decided to try to actually take part in the event with some of my own cars.  I don't ever show cars, but I just thought it might be neat to sort of be involved from "inside the ropes", so to speak. Concours d' elegance translates to "contest of elegance".  I told Branelle "If that's not me, I don't know what is?"

The event is held in early May, but the application process starts around the 1st of the year.  I submitted our 1977 Porsche 924 Championship Edition and our 1964 Buick Riviera to the committee for consideration.  I thought the Porsche had a shot because I've never seen a 924 in the show before, but to my surprise, both cars were accepted! 

This is just a little pictorial of our experience on the weekend.  It was a lot of fun!


The show is on Saturday and Sunday, but you set the cars up on Friday.  They have a pretty good system.  When you pull up to the gate they assign a golf cart for you to follow to your area where there are more people to help you get the car into its spot. 


Although the cars seem sporadically placed all over the yacht club, they actually have a very detailed map with spaces for each of the 200 cars in the show. They are grouped by category - Porsches, Ferraris, Pre-War European, etc.  


At the end of the day, all the cars are in their spots and tucked in for the night. The first car here is our Riviera with some of the other 60's American Class behind it.  


In addition to the show, there are a few parties that occur over the weekend. We decided to attend the "Yachta Yachta" party on Friday night. It was fun. Basically it was food, music, and a bunch of really big yachts you could hang out on with the owners.  


 This engine room was cleaner than my kitchen.


 I kinda want a boat now.


The food was surprisingly good and we had fun.  It was a good way to meet some new people....with yachts.


Saturday morning is when all the cars are judged.  They do the judging before the event is opened to the public so you have to go out there and uncover your cars and sort of shine them up and make sure they're presentable.  We took Samantha with us in the morning.  She loves to "help" with anything you're doing.


She really likes to clean, but in a very focused area.  I can pretty much guarantee that the left rear reflector on our Porsche did not cost us any points in the judging.  


Here is the panel judging our 924.  Since we had two cars in the show, but nowhere near each other, I had Nel hang out by the Buick and I stayed with the Porsche.  Now, I knew that we weren't going to win anything - this show is for the big boys.  The '73 911 Targa parked right next to me had just undergone a $100K + restoration - the paint job was over $30K - and the restoration company was there setting up the car......and it didn't even win!  Still, it was very interesting for me to go through the process.  The judges spent some time going over my little car and asked me lots of questions.  It was a neat experience.


After the judging we just became spectators and walked around checking out the show.  This Lotus Elan won its class and I was a big fan.  You don't see these in good shape often.


This Mustang didn't win anything, and it wasn't the most valuable or rare Mustang here, but I loved it.  Sometimes cars just look right.  I would love to own this one.


Our little Porsche showed well I think.  It certainly didn't look out of place.


This 1971 Alfa Romeo Montreal was one of my favorite cars at the show.  It was awarded 2nd in its class but I think it should have won easily.


On Sunday afternoon they hold the awards ceremony.  We went, of course, since we were allowed as exhibitors but certainly didn't expect to win anything.  



The Master of Ceremonies was Keith Martin of "What's My Car Worth" fame, and many other automotive related credentials.  He was entertaining and knowledgeable.  


If they want your car to drive across the lawn - if you've won "Best in Show" or something like the "Chairman's Award" - then you know ahead of time because they line up the cars.  Otherwise, you have no idea if you've won anything or not. 


I was beyond surprised when they announced that our Riviera had been selected for a Silver Award for 2nd in Class in the American 60's category.  I looked at Nel in shock and then made her come up with me to accept the award - which is why I don't have any pictures of the acceptance.  They took some so when they publish them I'll add one. 


I didn't carry the trophy around for the rest of the afternoon or anything like that.

My trophy wife driving my trophy winning car!

On Sunday evening, after the show is closed to the public, you come pick up your car and that's it.  We got a ride and drove both home together.  I let Nel pimp the Rivi.  After dropping the Porsche off at our storage, we even hit the grocery store.  This thing can bring home trophies and milk on the same trip.


Branelle asked me if I'd like to do it again.  I told her that right that second I would say no - it's a lot of work.  Honestly though, I kind of enjoyed the show more being part of it so if I have a car (or cars) that they want next year I'm in.  

After all, it's a "contest of elegance" - that's me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment