Saturday, February 4, 2017

Sailing on Galveston Bay


So sometime last summer Branelle and I were having lunch with some friends and for some reason the subject of sailing came up, as in: "We should go sailing".  I don't remember how or why, but I must have said something like "We can make that happen if you really want to".  Everybody got on their phones and decided that the date for this outing should be October 22nd.  I kind of forgot about it, and I was hoping that everyone else had too.  No.  A couple weeks into October I was informed by Nel that the water day was still on the schedule.


We don't own a sailboat at the moment so I had to scramble and rent one last minute.  I called up my buddy Barry (who is licensed to rent a boat and also actually knows what he's doing - so kind of integral to the whole plan) and we went boat shopping.  We settled on Two J Birds - a Beneteau 393 from South Coast Sailing.

Vanessa - Lyndsey - Branelle - Stephanie - Laura - Kate

I didn't have a hard time convincing Barry to take us out.  I just told him it was us two.....and six women.  He was on board (pun intended).


I had made it clear that Barry was the Captain, but since I was renting the boat I would technically be the Admiral, and should be referred to as such.  Stephanie was kind enough to get me a hat to remind everyone.


The weather was perfect.  The wind was just about right for a leisure cruise and the sun was out all day.  I've always preferred power boats to sailing, but I'm starting to come around.  It's very relaxing and quiet.


The boat turned out to be a pretty good choice.  My instinct is always to go with as big of...whatever it is - that you can afford.  Barry was pushing for something a little more manageable and the 40 footer was probably a good compromise.  

Kate gives it a thumbs up!
Lyndsey taking a turn at the helm as our fearless captain Barry plans his retirement.
I had a great time and I hope everyone else did as well.  I'm trying to push Barry into buying a big sailboat so we can do this whenever we want (What's better than owning a boat?  Having a friend who owns a boat!)

Barry put together a neat little video of our day and loaded it to Youtube.  Here's the link - check it out if you are so inclined.

https://youtu.be/X4_pt6Wxe0c




No comments:

Post a Comment