Tuesday, July 26, 2011

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4X4

I didn’t post last night.  I got busy doing other things in the office and then I just hit the wall.  I couldn’t think of anything to write about, so I didn’t.  The whole point of starting this blog was to make myself write something every day – no exceptions.  With that in mind, I’ve come up with a “mail it in” series of posts that I can turn out in very little time with even less effort.  Car reviews! 

While car reviews are interesting to me, I certainly don’t expect them to be interesting to anyone else.  If you check my blog and it’s me rambling on about some car with a few pictures, you’ll know I just wasn’t in the zone last night (or legitimately was busy with ‘real’ work). 

I actually feel like I could write something a little more substantial tonight, but I’m going with a car review so you’ll know what it looks like when I take the lazy route.  I’ve owned a lot of cars over the years – somewhere around 200 by my calculations.  I’ve taken pictures of almost every one of them and they each have their own file on my hard drive.  To make it more fun for myself (and more random for the blog) I’ve created a random selection program so when I want to do a quick car review blog I can just hit a button and it will select the vehicle I will write about that night.  I’m not smart enough to remove the motorcycles and boats from the program, so if one of them is selected I’ll just write about it.  It’s kind of like spinning a wheel and seeing what comes up! 

Here we go……..spin……….the randomly selected vehicle is………….

1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4X4

OK, that was extremely anticlimactic.  I was really hoping for one of the more exciting rides I’ve had over the years, but in following the rules I created for myself (and trust me, I do NOT want to be on the wrong side of me by breaking my rules) I will now blog about a Dodge Durango.


 
I bought this Durango at an auction (which is where I’ve bought the majority of my cars over the years) based entirely on looks.  As far as Durango’s go, I think this one was pretty sharp.  It had all the right add-on accessories and a mean sounding exhaust.  I’ve owned three Durango’s in total, but this was the first and best.  Like just about all Dodge products, it was cheap and plastic-ey inside, but it did have the bigger Magnum V8 they offered at the time.  I had this truck for over a year and have no real complaints other than it sucked gas at an alarming rate for a mid-sized SUV.  I ultimately sold this to a girl I knew at the time who really loved it – I think mostly for the color.  If I had to put this one on the Top Gear “Cool Wall”, I would have to go with “Uncool” (the options would be ‘Seriously Uncool’ – ‘Uncool’ – ‘Cool’ – and ‘Sub-Zero’).  I think this one was about as good as Durango’s got in ’99, but there were still a lot of better SUVs out there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment