Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Drive - for the Umpteenth Time

I skipped last night - Nel, George and I drove up to Wichita Falls and didn't get in until about 12:30am.  I was up for a while after that but too lazy to log in with the wi-fi.  I'm actually too lazy to blog tonight as well, but since I've never missed 2 days in a row.......

I HATE the drive between Houston and Wichita Falls.  It takes between 6 and 7 hours and there really isn't anything attractive or exciting to do along the way.  There might be a couple of pretty places in Texas, but none of them are on this route.  I can't even guess how many times I've done this drive over the years.  We moved from H-Town to WF when I was in 3rd grade, but my brother remained in Houston so we visited from time to time.  The real trips started when I decided to attend law school in houston  - I've lived there ever since and have no idea how many times I've gone back to the Falls.  My father can't travel so Nel and I try to visit my parents every couple of months. 

Because we live on the southeast side of Houston, the first hour and a half are just getting across town.  We've become creatures of habit in our old age so we usually make the same stops on every trip.  From H-Town to WF we almost always stop at Texas Burger in Madisonville.  When doing the reverse loop we always stop at a place in Waxahachie. 

One reason we don't mind making this trip is that we can bring our cat George along with us.  He's a great traveler.  He basically just sleeps or chills, occasionally coming up to the front to see what's going on.  I'd travel well too if I had it as good as him.  We always take the Tahoe, and set everything up for him about like he has it at home.  He has his bed, his litter box, and food and water - it's like a moving hotel room.

We'll be here for a few days before heading north to Minnesota for a week.  The high temp in Wichita Falls for the rest of the week - 104 - 107 - 110 - 112 - 111 - 110.  You get the idea.  I can always count on our trips to Brainerd in the summer to be a respite from the Texas heat, but they've been having some abnormally hot days.  They'd better get their act together before Tuesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment