Thursday, July 28, 2011

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS

I’ve been trying to avoid political issues as much as possible – primarily because it exhausts me.  I’ll crack from time to time and go on a rant about some issue or another, but not tonight (although I’m really wondering why ANYONE thinks Michelle Bachmann is in ANY way qualified to be president based on anything she’s done to this point - an inexperienced member of congress from a broke state that's about as far from center as you can get - sound familiar?). 

Since I don’t want to talk about the debt ceiling or immigration or a flat tax (at least not tonight), and since I’ve got a LOT of things to do tonight, I’m mailing it in with another VEHICLE REVIEW!!! Yeah!!!!!!

Spinning the random selection wheel……suspense……suspense…

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS


Well, I wouldn’t call the VehiCROSS a “cool” car, but it’s at least interesting.  It’s probably one of the strangest looking vehicles around.  Basically a Trooper underneath, Isuzu produced only 4153 of these things for the US market over 3 years (99-01), which, combined with their “odd” appearance, has created a bit of a cult following.



I bought this one at the Texas Hobby Auto Auction.  I can’t remember what I paid for it, but it wasn’t too bad because this isn’t really the type of vehicle that sells well here.  My personal opinion of the truck was not particularly high.  It was very small, rode rough and loud, and was underpowered.  It’s probably most similar to a Jeep, but without the ability to go open air.



I always thought the V-VROSS nose looked like a snake (see the 2 fangs with the eyes on top?).  I certainly wouldn’t call it an attractive truck, but you’re not going to mistake it for anything else.



The interior on this one was equally interesting.  Isuzu simply called it “Black/Red” but I thought it looked more like brick to me.  Of the 2005 built in 1999, 564 had this interior matched with a black exterior.  The seats were leather Recaros.  This one also had a neat little aftermarket stereo that had a display with dancing palm trees and other entertaining / distracting scenes.  Overall the truck was in pretty good shape and seemed to wear well.



I can’t say I would buy another one of these, but I have to admit that I haven’t seen more than a handful on the road since I sold mine.  I sold it on ebay and it ended up going to Portland, Oregon (where we just returned from last week and where it should fit in nicely).  It would make a fun little Jeep-type truck, but not for the money they are still bringing due to their rarity.  I also think it would make a much better truck for a girl than a guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment