Saturday, July 16, 2011

Too Beat To Blog

I skipped last night and was about to skip tonight, but I've dragged myself to the keyboard to try to get back in the swing of things.  I'm going to go random again tonight - meaning I'm too spent to try to put together a coherent piece about anything remotely important.

  • As a follow up to last Thursdays blog (The End of a Dynasty?) - I regret to report that it probably IS the end of the era of Thunder-Bear domination of Thursday night co-ed softball.  We would have needed to win five games with no break to win our sixth straight title last night.  We came out like the Thunder-Bear of old, ending the seasons of "Balls to the Wall" 17-4 and then "Caught Red-Handed" 17-5.  This set up a rematch with the team that put us in the losers bracket last week - "Ga-Goozsh".  We had the lead through 4 innings, but just weren't pulling away.  Sadly, in the 5th our usually reliable defense let us down and we found ourselves behind.  We ended up losing 10-8 (the same score they beat us by last week) and our season was over. 
  • I'm pretty sure my knee is gone again.  I had an MRI on my surgically repaired right knee on Thursday afternoon, but by late Thursday night, after 6 softball games in 2 days, it was acting just like it did before the surgery.  I'm actually really depressed about this.  I wasn't dealing well at all with the limitations from the 1st surgery, and the prospect of more procedures and rehab is devastating to any aspirations I had of being able to return to soccer or even jogging.  All I can really hope for now is just to be able to do normal activities (like walking when we travel) and live with pain.
  • I finally watched "The Social Network" tonight.  It's a pretty well done movie.  I even learned a little bit about Facebook and its origins.  I also recently watched "Inception".  I don't get it.  It's not that I don't understand or follow the movie, I just don't get the appeal.  It had some interesting visual effects, but the plot was weak and I just didn't care.  I think they were trying to go for a big "Kaiser Soze" moment and just missed the boat altogether.
  • Texas Auto opened their dealership here in Clear Lake.  This is dangerous.  Usually when I want to drool over and be tempted by exotic cars I have to drive across Houston to Expo Motorcars or Nexxes.  I dropped in on my new buddy Don this week and took a new Shelby 500 convertible for a spin.  I'm safe with the Shelby, but he'll come up with something more dangerous.
  • I feel like I should write something about the debt ceiling since it's all over the news lately and I guarantee that 99.9% of Americans have no clue what it really is or what function it serves.  Maybe I'll commit a blog to it sometime soon, but for now just know that it WILL be raised eventually - take that to the bank.  When you don't have a balanced budget amendment (like we do here in Texas) you can pretty much guarantee that no amount of revenue enhancements or expenditure cuts will reverse the debt calculator.  
I mailed this one in tonight, but I'm just not myself the last couple days.  I'll stop hobbling around and get back to being productive soon.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment