Friday, July 29, 2011

Random Items

Some random “Things I think I think”:
·        I think the ‘Tracker’ from Dominos Pizza when you order on-line is pretty cool.  I’m not sure why, but I love the updates like “Cindy is preparing your pizza” – “Cindy put your pizza in the oven” – “Bob is doing a quality check on your pizza” – “Dara just left the store with your pizza”.  It’s pretty accurate too. 

·        I think that while the show “Big Brother” on CBS is stupid and unwatchable, “Big Brother After Dark” on Showtime every night is bizarrely addictive.  It’s nothing more than a live feed from all the cameras in the Big Brother house for a few hours, but watching these people combat boredom while being locked up without outside contact for months can be really interesting.  It’s kind of like that movie “The Truman Show”, except the subjects are aware.  I love hearing the constant monotone commands from the producers blaring over the house sound system towards the ‘contestants’:  “Brendan, please go to the diary room” – “Adam, do not obstruct your microphone” – “Danielle, you are not allowed to talk about production!” – and my personal favorite “Jordan, stop singing!”

·        I think that people who don’t use liquid fabric softener are really missing out.  It makes a HUGE difference in the softness of your clothes after a few washes.

·        I think if the EPA really wanted to promote increases in average fuel mileage for vehicles, they would start pimping diesel.  Europeans have known for years what we in America seem to be blind to:  If you really want to get 40, 50, or even 70 miles per gallon without having to worry about plugging in your car every 40 miles, diesel is the way to go.  (I’m not a fan myself, I’m just sayin…)

·        I think we’re going to start seeing Fiat 500s pop up all over the place.  You would expect it on the left coast and even certain parts of the northeast, but I think they’ll take off everywhere.  Our Fiat dealership here in Clear Lake is already open with nothing but 500s lined up in all colors like a rainbow of Italian Skittles.

·        I think BMWs SMG Transmission sucks!  They make some of the best cars on the planet, but you HAVE to buy the manual version because the SMG (which is what they consider the automatic version) is annoying to the point of madness.  There’s nothing wrong with a manual, but not in something you drive everyday (unless your commute is the Nurburgring).

·        I think I’m going to have to shut it down for softball until I can repair my knee (how pathetic).  I played tonight and I had to have a pinch runner every time I got on base.  I can’t run and I can’t move.  I can pitch, but it’s got to look pretty sad.  I’ve gone from being one of the fastest and most agile to a stationary old man.  We won though – we beat the team that won last season’s championship 11-2.

·        I think (still) that teams are really missing the boat on Vince Young.  He was released by Tennessee today.  All the sports commentators are talking about him being a bust.  They’re crazy!  Question: Can you name every QB in the league that has a better winning percentage than Young since he joined the league?  If you said anyone past Manning and Brady you’d be wrong.  The guy was the Rookie of the Year and a 2-time Pro Bowler.  He’s never going to look like a traditional NFL QB.  If a team would just put him in with an offense that allows him to move the pocket and gives him a run-read option, he’d be fantastic.  He got stuck with a coach who didn’t want to draft him and it never worked out.  If he ends up in Philly backing up the dog-killer he may get a chance to play in that type of offense.

·        I think the US Soccer Federation did the right thing today by firing Bob Bradley.  He seemed like a nice guy, but the team was getting worse, not better.  I think the next coach should be a foreigner.  There are very few times I would say something like that, but I think a foreigner would be more objective about our talent (or lack thereof) than another American.  Bring on Juergen Klinsmann – he already lives in Cali.

I think (I know really) that I hate packing.  Hitting the road tomorrow and it always annoys me to have to plan what I will need for the next week (or nearly 2 in this case).

No comments:

Post a Comment