Wednesday, July 27, 2011

251.4

My weight this morning = 251.4.  When healthy (meaning two good legs – a status that is seeming less and less probable lately) I can carry 250.  It’s not ideal though.  I should really be somewhere around 225, even if it’s not the same version of 225 I played college soccer at.  I’m terrible at losing weight.  I can do it when I’m active because I don’t mind hitting the road for a few miles at 2:00pm when it’s 100 degrees outside or playing soccer three times a week.  Unfortunately the only things I can do at the moment are hobble through a game of softball a week and play a little golf. 

I saw an article titled “20 Habits That Make You Fat”.  I thought I’d go through them and maybe see how I stack up.  The article backs up everything on the list with data and research, but I won’t go into that here. 

1.     Eating ‘Low-Fat’ – Of all the things on the list, this is the one I was most surprised by.  Their explanation was very technical, but it basically boils down to saving a few calories but replacing harmless fats with low-performing carbohydrates that digest quickly.  Regardless, I’m good on this one.  I NEVER buy anything low-fat.  Nel does, but I make her buy me regular stuff as well (mayonnaise, etc.).
2.     Not Seeking Nutrition Advice – This is definitely a habit I have.  I don’t think I’ve ever really read anything about a diet or glanced at a nutrition book.  I don’t even have a subscription to ‘Men’s Health’ or anything like that.
3.     Sleeping Too Little or Too Much – I used to be guilty of sleeping too little.  Four or five hours a night was it for me, and less was not uncommon.  I still go to bed at around three or four most nights, but I sleep a little later so I’m actually probably right in the optimal 6-7 hour range.
4.     Eating Free Restaurant Foods – I’m guilty of this most places.  Whether it’s the breadsticks at Olive Garden or the chips at just about every Mexican place (or the rolls I ate with a little parmesan when we had lunch at Angelo’s today), I usually do graze while waiting for the main course.
5.     Drinking Soda, Even Diet – I should get double negative marks for this one.  I’m a soda-holic.  I’ve done a little better lately by trying not to drink any before lunch or after midnight, but it’s a drop in the bucket.  I know that if I simply stopped drinking soda, I would probably lose pounds at a staggering rate (if my body didn’t go into shock), but I just can’t do it.  I don’t drink alcohol, I don’t smoke, I don’t really have any vices to speak of other than soda.  Some men like to come home after a long day and pour themselves a glass of Taylor Fladgate Scion Porto, pop open their Daniel Marshall humidor, light up a Montecristo 75th Anniversario and kick their feet up.  I enjoy a Dr. Pepper on the rocks.
6.     Skipping Meals – Ummm…I never eat breakfast – does that count?  And while lunch is usually around the same time, dinner can fluctuate anywhere from 5:30 to 11:00.
7.     Watching Too Much TV – Damn it!  This is getting ugly for me.  I have to categorize myself as a “heavy user” when it comes to TV.  I watch a lot of shows at night if I’m home.
8.     Eating Too Quickly – I think I’m OK here.  I’m not a slow eater, but I don’t stuff it down either.  I’d say this one isn’t an issue for me.
9.     Ordering The Combo Meal – My wife saves me here.  She doesn’t like fast food, but left on my own I would eat a lot of it and always the combo – supersized!
10.     Facing The Buffet – Nel to the rescue again!  I LOVE buffets, but Nel isn’t really a fan so we don’t hit up Golden Corral or East Star very often.
11.     Eating Off Larger Plates – This one seems a little thin to me.  I think our plates are ‘normal’ size, and if we got smaller ones I really don’t believe it would make a difference.
12.     Putting Serving Dishes On The Table – No problem in our house because we never eat AT the table.  We are almost always in the living room watching TV while eating (so good on #12 – bad on #7).
13.     Choosing White Bread – This is one battle I win (or lose depending on how you look at it) in our household.  Nel would most certainly buy whole grain, but I like my bread soft and white.
14.     Taking Big Bites – I don’t think I do. 
15.     Not Drinking Enough Water – I’m getting better at this one, but I could still do more.  I like cold water when I’m hot, but not with meals.  I’ve taken to drinking water at night and when I go to bed.
16.     Having Overweight Friends – I think I’m good here.  My wife is extremely healthy and the few friends I do have are all thinner than me – maybe I’m the negative on their lists.
17.     Eating Too Late – I’m guilty of this one.  Even if I eat supper at a decent hour, once Nel goes to bed and leaves me unsupervised, it’s 50-50 if I’ll make it without snacking or not.  We really need to hire like an 18-year old Swedish nanny or something to keep an eye on me after 11:00pm.
18.     Not Using A Scale – I’m good here.  We have a great scale and I usually hop on in the morning to see how I’m trending. 
19.     Drinking Fruity Beverages – I don’t think I do this at all.  I drink Vitamin Water, but other than that I don’t drink much other than water and soda.
20.     Eating When Emotional – I’m not a chick.

So I’m probably about 10-12 out of 20 on these bad habits – to the wrong.  I doubt I’ll change the soda one, but I really need to try to find some improvements elsewhere until I can get back to a more active lifestyle.  The other option is Heroin (Amy Winehouse was always skinny) but we’ll call that Plan B.

No comments:

Post a Comment