Saturday, August 27, 2011

1997 Lexus LS 400 - and ABC13 Sucks!

My wife is out of town for a couple weeks doing "space stuff" in the Arizona desert (Pajama Jami-Jam tonight at Scott's house - don't tell Nel) so I'm unsupervised.  I failed to blog the last couple nights due to laziness.  I really have no excuse, I just didn't sit down and do it.  Since I'm undoubtedly letting down my massive following (my mother and my wife) I'll make an effort to get back to daily entries.  I'm not sure I have anything to write about tonight, so I'll just rant about a few things and see how much that fills.
 
The best NASCAR race of the year is almost always the night race at Bristol, which was tonight on ABC. I learned this afternoon that our local ABC station wasn't going to air the race, opting instead for the Texans pre-season game against the 49ers.  Seriously!?!  I was really angry about this.  There isn't much I could do, but I called and complained (left a message) and called my AT&T U-Verse folks and complained to them as well.  Apparently, if you have Comcast you could choose to watch the race on a substation of ABC.  Unfortunately we have no such option with U-Verse (same thing with tonight's Houston Dynamo game by the way).  I actually went over to my brother's house - they have Comcast - and took over my nephews TV.  I'm curious about the ratings.  I'm going to bet that the ratings for the football game tonight will be MUCH lower in Houston than the ratings for the NASCAR race in a similar market such as Dallas.  We'll see.

Wow - I'm struggling to think of anything else to rant about so I guess I'll just fill with a RANDOM VEHICLE REVIEW and call it a night. 
 
Spinning random selector……tonight's vehicle is…..

                1997 Lexus LS 400

We currently have a newer LS that I drive most of the time but this was my first Lexus.  I got it in March of 1999 at an estate liquidation auction in Houston and it was a magnificent car.  I remember it being kind of an impulse buy, and not a cheap one, but I can't remember too much about getting it other than that.  It was black with cream interior.  At the time I had never had a more comfortable or relaxing car.  It had an amazing list of options as well, and although I had a lot of cars at the time, this one immediately became my favorite.

People think of these LS as being a "soft" luxury car.  They are, but the big V8 is surprisingly powerful and even more surprisingly efficient.  It's a big car, but far from clumsy.  This car sold me on Lexus.  There were never any rattles, and unlike most Japanese cars all the materials were quality, from the leather to the Burl wood.  I liked that car so much that I considered buying a new one or finding another good used one when this one was gone. 
 
I did actually have a few problems with the car - all of which were of my own making.  I was driving home from work for lunch one afternoon and it was raining rather hard.  While cruising through my neighborhood I came upon an intersection that had standing water in it.  Having never had any flooding issues in my neighborhood before, I headed right through.  Mistake!  The water was a little higher than I judged and I discovered that water and electronics don't mix.  It stalled and as I tried to get it to restart, I felt my feet start to squish on the carpet as water seeped in.  I jumped out into the rain (wearing a suit and dress shoes) and pushed the car up the slight grade until it was above the water line.  Other than all of the issues as a result of that incident, the car was problem free.  I eventually sold it on ebay to some lady in New Hampshire. 
 
I was going to add a few photos of the car as I usually do, but the folder they should be in is empty.  Oh well, it looked just like your standard run of the mill Lexus LS that you see all the time.      

No comments:

Post a Comment