Friday, August 5, 2011

Eagle's Landing

The Twinkies return tonight from a few months in Europe, so Nel and her mom spent the morning getting things organized in their rooms, etc.  My only task was to install a couple of ceiling fans in our room and Ari’s room.  I’ve installed a fan and a couple of light fixtures up here on past visits and the wiring is a little tricky for me.  All of the wiring I encounter back home is pretty straight forward – 2 hots and a ground – but the wiring in MN is more complex.  There seems to be a pair of each, 3 grounds, and a loop that I always just keep as a loop.  Anyway, both fans went up without a hitch and worked correctly – with perfect balance – the first time.

After my electrical victory, we headed out with Mrs. C for lunch at Black Bear, a local restaurant.  After lunch, Nel and I headed south to play golf at Eagle’s Landing in Ft. Ripley.  It’s one of the “in between” courses in the area, meaning that while it’s not one of the many high dollar courses, it’s still really nice!  We thought that it wouldn’t be crowded at 4:00 on a Thursday - what we weren’t counting on was that it was men’s league night.  They let us on, but right in the middle of men’s league foursomes.  We ended up playing a 5 hour round, but got to know the groups in front and behind us really well.

The course is long, but with fairly generous driving areas.  As a “power course”, it set up very well for me.  I ended up shooting a 79, which I’m happy with, but I really made most of my mistakes early and late.  I had an 11-hole stretch in the middle of the round where I was 1 under par.  The greens were huge and fast.  I had a few 3-putt bogeys because I left my approach shots on the wrong tier of the green.  From tee to green I played about as well as I can – it was a “one-ball round”.  I hit about 2/3 of my greens in regulation and on the back nine I was 100% fairways hit.  All in all, a really nice and enjoyable course.   

Grilled some steaks tonight and now we’re just sitting up waiting for the twins to get here from MSP.

No comments:

Post a Comment