Saturday, August 6, 2011

Albatross - Tiki Style!

The Twinkies got back from their summer overseas at around 3:00am last night.  I waited up to greet them but hit the sack shortly thereafter.  Mr. and Mrs. C had signed us up for a 9-hole golf tournament and Tiki Party tonight at Cragun’s – where Nel and I got married last September.  It was supposed to be a two person “couple’s scramble”, but they decided to just make it a ‘fun’ round with no official scoring.  I have to admit that I was very disappointed when they announced that it wasn’t going to be scored – I was looking forward to a little competition.  Branelle and I started on hole #2 with the twins.  They decided that we should make it interesting by having a “guy vs. gals” match.  I would play straight up and they would play a 3-girl scramble.  To be honest, I wasn’t really worried.  Hole #2 is a long par 5 and I was just in front of the green in 2 while the girls were a little further out in 4 shots.  Then Andrea chipped in from 30 yards out for a par!
The chicks feeling quite proud of themselves and their 5 (par) after Andrea's chip in on the 1st hole.

Ari and Andrea - just back from Europe

They actually played pretty well at times.  Andrea almost chipped in again on our last hole (#1) and Nel had a par by herself on one of the par 3s.  Ari hit some clutch shots when the other two gals were in their pockets as well.  They ended up shooting a 45 – not too shabby for 3 girls that really never play golf.  Unfortunately for them, they ran into a juggernaut from the south who shows no mercy to women, children, or twinkies!  I shot a 39.
You can drive this par 4 if you can carry it about 270 (I've done it), but I resisted the temptation and played a smart wood into the fairway.

Cragun’s is a Golf Digest 4-Star course and one of the best of the high dollar resort courses in the area.  I’ve played well here in the past (I shot an even par 72 the last time I played the “Dutch Legacy” 18 – which is the last time I’ve shot par or below for 18 holes).  Tonight I wasn’t really playing great, but I did something that I’ve never done before – I got an ALBATROSS – 3 under par on a hole – on the par 5 hole #7.  The hole was only playing about 465 yards, but it’s a tricky and tight tee shot.  If you can draw the ball and keep it in play then you can get to the green in two with no problem.  I hit about a 300 yard drive with draw and left myself only a 7-iron into the green.  It looked like it was going to be right on the pin, but after it hit we couldn’t see the ball.  Sure enough, when we got up to the green it had taken one hop about 3 feet in front of the hole and dropped in.  ALBATROSS!     
Fun with Twinkies!

That really helped my round and made up for a double on the easiest par 3 on the course (my 9-iron broke at the shaft on impact and the ball didn’t clear the hazard).  We had a great time on the course, in spite of the hotter than normal weather for Minnesota, and headed in for the Tiki Party afterwards.
The girls and Mrs. Cibuzar at the Tiki Party

The party was held on the back deck where Branelle and I got married.  In fact, our table was just about on the exact spot where we said “I do”.  I pretended to have a panic attack when we first walked out there, but I don’t think anyone was buying it.  In fact, it seems like this exact spot is really my lucky spot.  Nel was crazy enough to married me here and tonight we racked up on the door prizes.  Andrea won the first one they gave out – a visor – and Mrs. C won a hat.  I made out the best (for everyone else anyway) by winning a University of Minnesota cooler filled with iced beer.  I even took home the longest drive competition (we were one of the last groups on the long drive hole, #9, and I hit my longest of the day – it stayed in the fairway by about a foot and was a good 20 yards longer than the previous mark). 
To the victor go the spoils - or to the victor's table anyway.  It's funny how the guy that doesn't drink always wins the beer.

If they ever sell lottery tickets on the back deck at Cragun’s Legacy Courses, I’m buying! 

No comments:

Post a Comment