Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Crow Wing County Fair

I LOVE Krispy Kream donuts.  We don’t have them in our part of Houston.  We used to, but no more – some kind of legal issue between the guy that owned the distribution rights and the company.  It’s probably a good thing we don’t have them anymore.  We were in Wichita Falls the last few days and went to the grocery store with my mother the other day and I couldn’t resist.  I’ve put away two boxes in two days.

TRAVEL DAY

Got up at 3:30am (I usually haven’t gone to bed by then) to drive the 2 hours from Wichita Falls to DFW Airport in Dallas for a very early flight to Minneapolis.  We left out of Dallas so we could visit my folks for a few days and so George could stay with them while we’re gone (he hates to be alone).  My mom took us down so we wouldn’t have to leave a car at the airport.  The drive down was fine (as fine as anything at 4am can be), but I did have a slight issue at the airport.  We were flying American.  While checking our luggage I declared a firearm in my checked baggage – something I do frequently.  While checking my firearm, the lady took issue with my clips being loaded.  I explained that her policy read “no loose clips”, and these were not loose, but secured in a locked container and not loaded in the firearm.  I also explained that this was the way I ALWAYS transported firearms.  She wasn’t having any of it so I emptied my clips and left the ammunition at the ticket counter for her to, I assume, dispose of.  They then had me walk my bag to a TSA inspection room and went through it while I waited.  They were all very nice, and everything was ultimately fine, but I have no idea why they had an issue with storing ammunition in clips.  What better way is there to safely transport ammo?

The flight was smooth and even arrived a little early.  We got our rental car and headed out of the airport, but immediately noticed two very distinct and obvious noises that were emanating from the dash but increased with our speed.  It continued for about 15 minutes and we were about to turn around when….it just stopped!  Weird.  Our Cadi hasn’t made a single noise since.  

We got into Brainerd and hung out at Nel’s parents’ house for a few hours enjoying the weather and visiting before heading out to the Crow Wing County Fair!  I drove Branelle’s mother’s Mini – fun.  I used to have a couple of these things years ago – at the same time!  Nel’s folks have 2 now.  I’ve never been convinced that they make the most sense for a Minnesota winter, but they never really seem to have any problems shushing around in the snow and they sure are fun in the summer. 

My problem with fairs is the obvious issue of eating way too much junk, and tonight was no exception.  A cheeseburger, a Monster Ear (it’s the same fried sweet we had in Portland that was called an elephant ear), Cheese Curds, a milkshake, and we’re talkin’ about maybe 2 hours here.  I’ve felt better.  In spite of my self-inflicted stomach issues, I had a great time.  It’s nice to be back in small town Minnesota for a little while. 

I’ve slept 1 hour in the last 2 days so I’m hitting the hay a little early tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment